Women’s golf excels at Midd.

Last weekend, women’s golf continued its perfect season, besting the competition easily and taking the top overall spot once again at the Middlebury Invitational. The Ephs took an early lead after Day One with a team total score of 316 thanks to some great playing from all members of the team. Four of the five women were amongst the top 10 performers for the day. Amherst trailed in second place with a total of 334, with Mount Holyoke and Middlebury not far behind with 337 and 338, respectively. Day Two saw an even more impressive performance by the women, who posted a total score of 312. In addition to besting their Day One score, all five Ephs landed among the top 10 overall performers for the invitational. This allowed the women to take first with plenty of room to spare, finishing out the weekend at Ralph Myhre Golf Course with a total of 628, 36 points ahead of second-place Middlebury who finished out the weekend with a total of 664. Mount Holyoke and Amherst followed with 669 and 677, respectively.

Day One saw Shelby Shote ’15 and Sarah Hassleman ’17 leading both the team and the field. Shote shot 74 and Hassleman shot 79, which put them in first and second place overall, respectively. Co-captain Georgiana Salant ’14 tied for fourth with a first day tally of 81, while co-captain Emily Wickstrom ’14 took seventh with a score of 82. Rounding out the Ephs roster was Caroline Sawin ’15, who posted an 87 to give the Ephs a total of 316 for the day. Kelly Kung ’16 played as an individual in the tournament, and therefore did not count toward the women’s total; however, she still shot an impressive 86 for the day.

Overall, the course proved very difficult for the participants in the Invitational. Shote and Hassleman were the only two individuals to shoot under 80 for the day, a significantly smaller number of participants than in the past competitions this season. In addition to higher scores than normal, two individuals were disqualified due to some confusion about the layout of the course, causing them to finish out on the wrong hole.

Day Two saw an even better performance from the Ephs, who carded a team total of 312, giving them a two-day total of 628 and guaranteeing the first place spot. Hassleman led the Ephs on Day Two, besting her previous score of 79 by carding a 76. Her total of 155 was enough to earn her first place overall in the invitational, just ahead of teammates Salant and Shote. Salant finished Day Two with a total of 75, while Shote slipped a little and carded an 82 for the day. Salant and Shote both recorded two-day totals of 156, which tied them for second place overall.

Wickstrom showed good consistency throughout the invitational, scoring an 82 on both days, giving her a two-day total of 164, which was enough for a fifth-place individual finish. Sawin improved tremendously from her 87 on Day One, shooting a 79 on Day Two to give her a total of 166 and an eighth-place finish overall. Kung improved drastically as well, going from an 86 on Day One to a 79 on Day Two for a two-day total of 165. Her score put her in sixth place overall at the invitational.

“We’re really proud of how we played on the second day,” said Salant. “The first day we lost sight of our team goals a little bit, but we fought hard to play well on the second day.”

The women will now look to bring the competition home at the Williams Fall Classic this coming Saturday and Sunday at the Taconic Golf Club.