Volleyball topples rival Amherst

Claire Miller ’15 had nine kills to help the women beat Amherst. - Alex Marshall/Photo Editor
Claire Miller ’15 had nine kills to help the women beat Amherst. – Alex Marshall/Photo Editor

Volleyball (12-1, 3-1 in the NESCAC) already had a very strong record going into its game last Thursday. The women added on perhaps the sweetest victory of the season when they beat Amherst at home 3-1.

The match started slowly for the women, who gave up the opening six points to Amherst to start off the set. After calling a timeout, the women got a foothold in the match. With this newfound momentum, they served up aces and kills to eventually bring the score to 15-14 in their favor. The Ephs continued to score points after that, getting the winning two kills from Katherine Lane ’16 and Tori Jasuta ’17 to take the first set 25-20.

The second set also went in favor of the Ephs. Despite the scores being level at 8-8, the women clawed their way to a lead and never relinquished their winning position. The set finished on an ace serve from Emily O’Day ’15 with a score of 25-16.

The third set also went 25-16 but this time it was in favor of the Jeffs. Williams got off to a slow start and could not find its way back. The women scored only 12 points to Amherst’s 21. Despite a late Ephs’ comeback, the Jeffs closed out the set nine points ahead.

The fourth and final set of the match was a battle between the two teams. At 20-18, with the Jeffs just two points back, the Ephs went on a run that ultimately clinched the match in their favor. Lane, Ryan Farley ’16, Claire Miller ’15 and captain Emily Doll ’14 each scored a crucial point for Williams. Although Amherst stayed on the women’s heels, Jasuta scored the 25th and winning point with a shot to the back corner of the court to put the set and the match to bed. Williams took the final set 25-23 and the match overall 3-1.

Jasuta led the team with 18 kills, while Miller and Doll recorded nine and eight, respectively. Farley had 37 assists over the four sets. On defense, libero Mandy Schott ’15 had 21 digs. Farley had 10 digs, and Doll and Jasuta had nine each.

“It’s always good to get another NESCAC win,” Head Coach Christi Kelsey said. “I think we had some challenges tonight but did a good job to work through them and get a victory.”

Volleyball took on Union last Tuesday, but results came in too late to report. The women’s competitions continue this weekend with more home matches. They play Tufts at 7 p.m. on Friday and Conn. College at 2 p.m. on Saturday. Both games are in Chandler Gym.