Athletes of the week: Sarah Hassleman ’17 and Colin Cotton ’17

Sarah Hassleman '17
Sarah Hassleman ’17
Sarah Hassleman ’17
Women’s Golf (Honolulu, Hawaii)

“The whole team is really proud of Sarah. She’s been playing really well in practice, and it’s no surprise that her great play translated to this weekend. She’s a really solid player, and she takes it one shot at a time. That’s why she performs so well.” – Georgiana Salant ’14, Co-captain

Hassleman earned top honors at the Middlebury Invitational last weekend, posting a two-day score of 155. After Day One, she was in second place with a score of 79, five strokes off the lead. She was one of two women in the field to shoot below an 80 on the day. A stellar Day Two, in which Hassleman shot a 76, was enough to put her ahead of the competition and bring home the individual trophy. Overall, the women finished with a score of 628, 36 strokes ahead of second-place Middlebury.

Colin Cotton '17
Colin Cotton ’17
Colin Cotton ’17
Men’s Cross Country (Cincinatti, Ohio)

“Colin ran relaxed, moved to the back of lead pack and looked effortless as he took the lead and sped in to a very good time on a challenging course. He knows how to train diligently and is a strong front runner who will be one of the best in New England Div. III this season.” – Pete Farwell ’73, Head Coach

Cotton ran a stellar time last weekend, coming in at 25:56.8 in the men’s 8k. After not competing in the men’s first meet of the season, Cotton showed his talent in front of the home crowd. He stayed with the pack for the first few miles. However, Cotton pulled away from the field with about two miles to go, and his time earned him first place at the Purple Valley Invitational. Cotton finished 12.4 seconds ahead of the second-placed finisher at the Ephs’ first home meet of the season.