Women’s tennis dispatches three rivals in undefeated weekend

Women’s tennis (3-0, 1-0 in the NESCAC) started its three-contest weekend strong with a 9-0 win over NESCAC rival Wesleyan last Saturday. On Sunday, Williams followed up that dominating performance with a 7-2 win over Wellesley and a 9-0 shutout of Babson.

The women handily defeated Babson 9-0 on Sunday afternoon. Linda Shin ’17 and Hannah Atkinson ’17 started the match on a high note for the Ephs, beating their No. 2 doubles opponents 8-0. Rebecca Curran ’15 and co-captain Kara Shoemaker ’14 won their match 8-2, while Riqui McCoy ’16 and Alex Stone ’16 succeeded in defeating their opponents 8-4. The Ephs stayed strong through their singles matches, again holding their opponents to a maximum of four wins per set. At No. 1 singles, Shoemaker crushed her opponent 6-0, 6-4. Maria Pylypiv ’15 won her No. 2 singles match 6-2, 6-1, and Stone impressively defeated her opponent 6-0, 6-2.

The women had faced Wellesley earlier in the day, walking away with a 7-2 win, despite several close matches. The No. 2 doubles pair of Atkinson and McCoy crushed its opponent in a decisive 8-1 victory. At No. 1 doubles, Curran and Shoemaker fought valiantly against their opponents, eventually falling in a tiebreaker 8-9 (1). The doubles duo of Shin and Stone pulled off an 8-4 victory at No. 3 doubles. The Ephs were equally successful in their singles campaign, with victories in five of their six matches. Pylypiv had an impressive No. 2 singles match in which she fought to defeat her opponent 6-1, 7-5.

On Saturday, Williams swept Wesleyan 9-0 in its first home match of the season. The Ephs pulled ahead early when the doubles pair of Curran and Shoemaker won at No. 1 doubles 8-2. The young No. 3 doubles team of Atkinson and McCoy replicated the success of the No. 1 doubles pair, defeating its opponent 8-3. Pylypiv and Elkins rounded out the doubles victories, winning their No. 2 doubles match 8-5.

The women were equally successful in singles, winning all six matches in straight sets. Shoemaker had an exemplary first singles match in which she dominated her opponent in a quick 6-0, 6-0 victory. Curran also defeated her Wesleyan opponent 6-0, 6-0 in a strong singles showing. The rest of the team had strong singles matches, with no Eph dropping more than five combined games over her two sets.

“We were working a lot on our energy on court [last] weekend and coming together as a team competitively,” said Head Coach Alison Swain ’01. “Our energy really improved throughout the weekend, and during our Babson match, you could feel how much fun the players were having in their matches and being on court together.”

The Ephs will host the ITA Tournament this Friday through Sunday.