Athletes of the Week: Hannah Van Wetter ’15 and Ross Hoffman ’17

Hannah Van Wetter ’15
Hannah Van Wetter ’15
Hannah Van Wetter ’15
Women’s soccer (Lakewood, Colo.)

“Hannah was spectacular on Saturday and has been a steady presence for us in the goal all season. Her confidence, composure and leadership behind our backs is invaluable. She truly loves to compete and that energy is contagious.” – Michelyne Pinard, Head Coach

Van Wetter secured her second clean sheet of the season on Saturday, helping the women’s defense keep Amherst from finding the net in their 0-0 draw. Just before halftime, she saved a long-range shot, and near the end of regulation, Van Wetter came off her line quickly to deny an Amherst attacker an open look at goal. Two more saves in quick succession helped keep the Amherst offense at bay. Overall, Van Wetter had seven saves on the day.

Ross Hoffman ’17
Ross Hoffman ’17
Ross Hoffman ’17
Men’s golf (Great Neck, N.Y.)

“He showed last weekend that he can play really good golf. He had a really good first round and an extremely good second round, and he went out in the playoffs as a freshman and won his first collegiate event on the first playoff hole. I’m ecstatic about his performance.” – Josh Hillman, Head Coach

Hoffman won the individual title at the Williams Invitational last Sunday in his first collegiate tournament. He shot a 75 on Saturday and improved on that score with a 72 on Sunday, putting him in a tie for first place. In the playoff on the par five first hole, Hoffman kept calm, hitting three beautiful shots to set up a putt for birdie. He gracefully stroked it into the hole to secure the victory and the individual crown.