Women’s tennis dominates at Lindsay Morehouse Invitational

Women’s tennis started its fall season off last Saturday and Sunday by hosting the Lindsay Morehouse ’00 Invitational. The Ephs, who won their sixth consecutive Div. III NCAA title last spring, had a strong showing over the two days, winning eight of their nine singles matches and seven of their 10 doubles matches. Additionally, six players went undefeated in singles play and three doubles pairs swept their opponents as well.

Maria Pylypiv ’15 had a strong showing in singles, winning all three of her matches, including fighting back to win her final match 6-2, 1-6, 6-4. Her performance was mirrored in her doubles play, where she and co-captain Kathleen Elkins ’14 defeated all three of their opponents, never allowing another team to take more than four games. Rebecca Curran ’15 had a similarly impressive showing, going undefeated in singles and in doubles with her partner Kara Shoemaker ’14. Riqui McCoy ’16 and Hannah Atkinson ’17, both undefeated in singles play in the invitational, teamed up for three impressive doubles wins, defeating their three opponents 8-4, 8-4 and 8-6.

Linda Shin ’17 had an exciting start to her collegiate tennis career when she went undefeated in singles play, not allowing her opponents to win more than two games in a set. Alex Stone ’16 and McCoy also had impressive undefeated singles streaks in the tournament. Stone took both of her singles matches in straight sets; she defeated her Middlebury opponent 6-2, 6-2 and her Vassar challenger 6-1, 6-1. McCoy also won decisively; the sophomore took her first match over a Middlebury opponent 6-1, 6-0 before dismantling her Bowdoin foe 6-3, 6-4. McCoy again won in straight sets, as she finished her singles play by topping a Skidmore rival 6-2, 6-0.

“One of our focuses as captains has been to set the tone early on, and it was great to see everyone competing with positive intensity at all times,”  Elkins said.

“As a program, it was clear how much positive energy and competitive drive we have to start the fall,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “The tournament gets us very prepared for tougher contests coming up.”

The women’s next match is against Wesleyan at 12 p.m. on Saturday at the Hunt Tennis Center. On Sunday, the women will play at Wellesley at 11 a.m. and at Babson at 3 p.m.