Women’s golf cruises to season-opening win

Women’s golf kicked off its season with a decisive win at the NYU Invitational last weekend at the Spook Rock Golf Course in Suffern, N.Y. Over 60 women and 11 teams took part in the invitational, but the Ephs topped them all by taking an early lead on the first day of competition with a team score of 311. This placed them 10 shots ahead of NYU and 18 ahead of Middlebury. The women stayed strong on Day Two of the competition, posting a combined score of 314 to bring their weekend total to 625, which secured the team a comfortable win over second place Middlebury (652) and NYU (653.)

On Day One, Tracey Kim ’17 led the charge for Williams and the entire field with an impressive round of 74, narrowly outscoring Claire O’Neil from St. Lawrence and Rebecca Studin of SUNY Cortland, who each posted 75 for the day. Captain Georgiana Salant ’14 and Kelly Kung ’16 finished Day One under 80, with Salant scoring a 76 – tying her for fourth on the day – and Kung scoring a 79 – tying her for eighth. To round out the women’s roster, Emily Wickstrom ’14 placed 14th overall with a final score of 82, while Caroline Sawin ’15 tied for 18th with a Day One total of 85. The collective high performance of the Ephs gave the women a comfortable lead going into the second day of competition. Williams was well situated with a 10-stroke lead over NYU, an 18-stroke lead over Middlebury and a 27-stroke lead over Amherst in sixth.

On Day Two, Salant stayed remarkably consistent, carding another 76 to lead the Ephs. Her two-day total of 152 was enough to earn her third place overall, just behind Studin, who totaled 148 for the weekend. Kim fell slightly off her Day One pace, but still managed to put up a respectable score of 82 to bring her two-day total to 156 and tie for sixth place overall. Kung and Wickstrom finished 11th and 12th overall with scores of 160 and 161, respectively. As the Ephs’ final scorer, Sawin posted a Day Two score of 78, putting her in 13th place with a total of 163. The women’s consistency catapulted them into first place overall, with a total score of 625, easily besting second-place Middlebury by 27 strokes (652) and NYU by 28 (653). Amherst improved to fifth place on Day Two with a total score of 669.

“We wanted to start our season off strong at the NYU Invitational,” Salant said. “We were extremely happy with the win but even happier with the fact that we met almost every one of our team goals. All my teammates fought hard to post good scores, and they never gave up. Tracey [Kim] especially was a champion on the second day when she came in with a respectable score while battling wrist pain.”

Every member of the team shot in the 70s on at least one of the days of the competition, and it was exactly this high level of play that secured their win in such a decisive fashion.

The women now look to their next challenge at the Mount Holyoke Invitational this Saturday and Sunday in South Hadley, Mass. Play will begin at 8 a.m. Mount Holyoke already proved it could compete by placing fourth as a team in the NYU Invitational, with Mount Holyoke’s Madi Mendiola earning the fifth-place spot overall with a two-day total of 155.