Volleyball sweeps 4 in straight sets at Union

Despite an intimidating and physically challenging schedule last week, volleyball (8-1) had a successful run, coming away with five wins. Over the span of four days, the women added four victories at the Union College Invitational on Friday through Sunday and a four-set victory over Vassar on Sept. 11, sweeping almost every team with the exception of Vassar.

The women began competition at the Union College Invitational on Friday afternoon. The women beat both Oneonta State and SUNY Cortland in just three sets each, improving their record to 6-1 by the end of the night. Williams crushed Oneonta State, taking the match and winning its sets 25-22, 25-12 and 25-17. Later that day against SUNY Cortland, the women were equally dominate, winning 25-13, 25-20, 25-14 to put away another victory. The Ephs posted impressive numbers both on defense and offense, with Ryan Farley ’16 snagging a two-game combined total of 71 assists. Captain Emily Doll ’14, Claire Miller ’15, Tori Jasuta ’17 and Raea Rasmussen ’15 all contributed to the pair of victories with stellar kills. On defense, libero Mandy Schott ’15 had impressive performances, including 16 digs against SUNY Cortland. In that same matchup, Rasmussen had 10 kills and a hitting percentage of .667.

The Ephs continued their streak of straight set wins on Saturday. The women’s first game against Skidmore went 25-16, 25-16, 25-11 in favor of Williams. The team’s next victory over Hartwick was even more resounding: 25-10, 25-8, 25-10. Against Skidmore, Jasuta led the team on offense and defense with 14 kills and 11 digs. Rasmussen had 10 kills against Hartwick and was recognized for her consistent play by being named to the All Tournament Team.

“I like how focused and consistent our team has been thus far,” Head Coach Christi Kelsey said.

“The whole team played very confidently and consistently this whole weekend,” Doll said. “We have a lot of momentum going into our first home NESCAC weekend and are excited to get ready for our match at home against Bates on Friday night.”

On Sept. 11, the women traveled to Vassar. Williams powered through the first two sets, winning 25-17 and 25-19, respectively. The third set brought a slight hiccup, with the Brewers taking the win over the Ephs 20-25. However, the Ephs came storming back with a strong fourth set, earning a 27-25 win and clinching a 3-1 win for the Ephs.

Doll and Jasuta led the team in kills, with 18 and 16, respectively. Doll’s 18 kills were the most of any player on either team in the game.  Jasuta also tallied a team-leading 18 digs, followed by Schott with 12, Farley with 11 and Doll with 10.

“I thought we overall were very steady and consistent against a talented Vassar team,” Kelsey said. “I am pleased with how this group is really buying into making small adjustments instantly that help us find more success in our execution overall. A lot of folks really stepped up tonight, and it was a great team effort across the board.”

The women open up their conference play with a home matchup against Bates on Friday at 8 p.m. in Chandler Gym. This game will be followed by two more home games, one against NESCAC foe Bowdoin on Saturday at noon and the other against Western New England on Saturday at 4 p.m.