Men’s golf suffers tough three-stroke defeat at Midd.

Men’s golf traveled to Middlebury last Saturday to compete in the Duke Nelson Invitational at the par-70 Ralph Myhre Golf Course. The men took home third this week with a score of 599, just three strokes behind champion Middlebury with 596.

Following a barrage of rain earlier in the week, the Saturday conditions proved to be favorable, as the men started off the weekend with a solid 294, trailing only Hamilton with 291 and Middlebury with 292. Co-captain Dylan Dethier ’14 led the way for the Ephs, carding a fantastic 72 after a shaky start, double bogeying two of the first three holes. Not far behind, co-captain Cody Semmelrock ’14 and Jake Goldenring ’15 also came out hot, penciling in tidy rounds of 73 and 74, respectively. Grant Raffel ’17, who is looking to cement a position for himself on this experienced team, continued his solid play from last week, shooting a 75. While co-captain Jake Abrahams ’14 battled with a couple of triple bogeys, he still managed to card in a very respectable 78.

In a similar situation to last weekend, the Ephs came into the second day in third place with a realistic shot to take home the title. The weather once again took a turn for the worse on Day Two, adding some difficulty to the course. In a much closer decision than last week, the Ephs placed third with a combined score of 599, after shooting a 304 on Sunday. The Ephs ultimately lost to the host Panthers by only three strokes. Semmelrock and Goldenring continued their steady play from Saturday, shooting matching 74s and finishing one and two for the Ephs with two-day totals of 147 and 148, respectively. Raffel held steady, carding a 77 on the way to a total score of 152. Unfortunately, Dethier didn’t recreate his Saturday performance and tallied an 84 for a two-day score of 156. Abrahams continued his solid play, penciling in an 80 for a two-day score of 158. Co-captain Matt McCarron ’14 competed in the event as an individual, shooting 77 and 78 for a total of 155.

“We are definitely disappointed with the result, given that we had the lead with a few holes to play,” Abrahams said. “This will be good motivation for our final two events of the fall.”

The Ephs will look to take down Middlebury next weekend at the Williams Invitational, the team’s final tournament before NESCAC fall qualifiers.  Tee times will begin this Saturday at 1 p.m.