Ephs welcome two new track and field coaches

Womenstrackcoach
Track and field welcomes two new leaders this coming season: David Thompson as head coach of men’s track and field and Nathan Hoey as head coach of women’s track and field. Both coaches come bearing impressive credentials.

As coach of the team at Ashford, Thompson helped Ashford break over 20 school records. Thompson also served as coach of Dubuque’s track team, where he trained four national NCAA championship qualifiers and the 55 meter NCAA champion. But the limited coaching staffs at Ashford and Dubuque eventually wore Thompson and his athletes down. “Track is a three-ring circus,” Thompson said. Without organization, “something’s got to give.”

Thompson is also a runner himself. His college running career was adorned with three national titles, rookie All-American status and sophomore captainship. Thompson served as captain for three years. To Thompson, what makes a good athlete is “what makes a good student: attention to detail, passion [and] work ethic.” More than anything, a good track and field athlete strives for not just times or distances, but for “the process,” he said.

Hoey’s coaching career is a triumph both in athletics and academics. At Washington and Lee, he helped secure almost 200 school records and 16 conference records, while also maintaining a team average GPA of over 3.5. In Hoey’s first year coaching at Westchester, his team was honored as an All-Academic Team. To Hoey, academics, along with stretching, lifting, rolling and icing, are all key parts of a “balanced training plan.” He seeks “excellence in everything” and places “expectation in the daily process,” not just the end goal. As a runner for Slippery Rock, Hoey was Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Athlete of the Year, as well as a PSAC record holder. But Hoey’s earliest coaches would never let him experiment with new training techniques, always saying “don’t do that,” without an explanation. Ever since that time, his life has been a search for the secrets of proper training technique. He continues daily to question himself and research any way he can improve his coaching. He strives always to be “positive and outgoing” with all of his athletes and is excited to start his new career at the College.

The hiring of Thompson and Hoey marks the advent of a more specialized, organized and ultimately successful track and field program here at Williams. The new coaches will be replacing former Head Coach Fletcher Brooks, whose personality and professionalism were undeniable attributes throughout his 11-year coaching career at the College. Thompson and Hoey will be joined by an impressive group of six assistant coaches: Peter Farwell ’73, Dick Farley, Erica Maker, Keelin Godsey, Lance Harden and Justin Germani. Farwell and Farley served as interim co-head coaches during the hiring process.