Captains’ Corner: Emily Doll ’14

Emily Doll '14
Emily Doll ’14

What’s your major?

Political science major with a concentration in leadership studies.

What is your least favorite school to play at?

Probably Amherst. It’s just so incredibly hostile. Their gym is also pretty gross and old.

What’s your favorite jam to listen to at the gym?

“Wake Me Up” by Avicii.

What is the team tradition you value most?

We have dinner together every single night; we’re really good about it. It’s nice to sit down and to talk to everyone outside of volleyball.

What’s your pregame ritual?

We meet as a team before our game and slam on our lockers and get each other pumped up. We also touch a sign that says “All In.” Oh, and we also all have buddies on the team, and we make them cards or give them funny gifts before each game, which is a nice tradition.

Which professor would you most like to play against in your sport?

Professor [of Political Science James] McAllister. [Laughs.] I think it’s probably the only thing I could ever do that he couldn’t do better than I can.

What was an achievement in your sport that you feel proudest about?

Probably last season when we beat Amherst at NESCACs. We had lost at Amherst in the regular season. Going into NESCACs, they were ranked higher than we were, and we beat them in three sets and we ended their season. It was the best feeling ever.

What’s your favorite snack before a game?

I think I’d have to say bananas and peanut butter.

If you could play another sport at Williams, what would it be?

Squash. I think it’s super cool. I’m from California and people don’t really play squash out there. The players are so athletic, and it’s so intense. I really like watching it, so I think it would be really cool to play it.

What’s your most embarrassing moment in your sport?

Oh, that one’s easy. Two years ago, during my sophomore year, we were doing defensive drills at practice, and I dove for a ball and slammed my chin on the floor. I had to go to the hospital and get stitches. [Laughs.] It was so incredibly embarrassing.

Who’s your pro athlete crush?

Derek Jeter. I just love Derek Jeter. I love, love, love him.