Women’s track surges to fourth at Regionals

Last weekend, women’s track and field competed at the Div. III New England Championships at Colby. The women finished fourth with 75 points, behind MIT in first with 126.5, Tufts in second with 93 and Colby in third with 78. Williams beat out Middlebury, who finished ahead of the women on April 27 at the NESCAC Championship meet.

The women scored many points in the field events. Amina Avril ’14 started the Ephs off in the throws, placing second in the hammer throw with a toss of 56.07 meters. However, she was unfortunately unable to compete in her other events due to an injury. Co-captain Brooke Johnson ’13 scored points for the team with a leap of 5.15 meters in the long jump, placing her seventh. Johnson competed in the triple jump as well, finishing third with a jump of 11.45 meters, and co-captain Tanasia Hoffler ’13 won the event with a jump of 11.75 meters. Jenna Adams ’14 cleared 3.70 meters in the pole vault, finishing second, and Julie Paschal ’13 took fourth place in the high jump after clearing 1.58 meters. Elise Pitmon ’16 competed in the heptathlon for the Ephs and finished in seventh place after great performances in all of her events, many of which were personal bests.

The distance runners had several standout performances. Lacey Serletti ’16 competed in her first 10k on Friday evening, posting an impressive time of 38:08.96 to place in 10th. On Saturday, the women began the day with outstanding performances in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Co-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 won the event with her best time of the season, 10:47.98, and Borah Lim ’16 and Kathryn McNaughton ’16 finished in seventh and eighth with impressive personal record times of 11:30.59 and 11:34.58, respectively. In the very competitive 1500 meter, Kaleigh Kenny ’14 took fourth place with a personal best time of 4:36.26, passing six competitors in the last 100 meters of the race. Amelia Ortiz ’15 competed in the 5k and finished ninth in 18:13.20.

In the sprints, the women had another showing of strong performances. In the 400 meter, Ashley Graves ’15 placed eighth with a time of 58.38 seconds and Desiree Daring ’13 ran a personal best time of 58.77. In the 4×100 meter relay, the team of Bethany Berry ’16, Amanda Murashige ’14, Annie Lynch ’14 and Grace Weatherall ’16 finished in eighth with a time of 49.62 seconds. Co-captain Rebecca Fine ’13, Mirecki, Kenny and Dianna Mejia ’15 made up the 4×800 team and took fourth place with a time of 9:17.93. The last and most exciting relay for the Ephs was the 4×400 team of Graves, Lynch, Daring and Murashige, who captured second place with a time of 3:53.78.

“We showed up to compete at a big meet and are proud of the performances,” Johnson said. “Looking forward, we have a lot of girls in great positions to be competitors at Nationals.”

This weekend, the women will compete at the All-New England Championships at Stonehill in Easton, Mass.