Men’s crew falls to 3rd after trio of tight races at Regionals

Last Saturday, men’s crew competed at the New England Rowing Championships, taking third overall and second, combined with the women’s scores, in team competition. Williams brought three boats to the competition and took second in the 1V competition, first in the 2V competition and fourth in the 3V competition.

In the morning, the 3V began the race day with a comfortable second-place finish in the second heat with a time of 6:31.4 to secure a position in the grand final taking place in the afternoon. The 3V battled with Bates throughout the grand final to fall just out of the medals by a margin of less than two seconds with a near identical time to its morning heat of 6:31.9. The men secured a fourth-place finish out of the nine boats that competed in the 3V division.

Following the 3V, the 2V showed its grit and determination throughout the day to take the only first-place finish for the men. Facing challenging competition, the 2V took an early lead in the morning heats and glided to a comfortable margin of two seconds over University of Rhode Island to win the heat. The men finished the morning heat with a time of 6:07.8, second only to Wesleyan’s 2V, which won the second heat and was first overall from the morning races.

Going into the afternoon, the 2V competition was tight among Trinity, University of Rhode Island and Wesleyan, with all crews battling back-and-forth for the first 800 meters. Eventually, Trinity slipped out of the fold, leaving Williams and University of Rhode Island to duel it out. It was Williams, though, that made a huge move to pull within two seats of University of Rhode Island and reverse its lead by pulling two seats up on University of Rhode Island at 1150 meters. At 800 meters, Williams steadily walked away, putting University of Rhode Island six seats back and giving Williams a clear two-second victory with a time of 6:16.7 to take the New England Championship title.

After a strong morning of racing for the 1V, with a 6:05.6 qualifying time and a win in the first heat, the 1V was prepared to battle to defend its New England title. After a rough start, the 1V quickly separated itself into a two-boat race with rival Trinity. Trading moves back and forth throughout the middle 500, Williams took a one-seat lead before Trinity came back to take six seats in the third 500. In the final 500, Williams sprinted to take back four of the six seats on Trinity but ultimately ended in an extremely tight finish less than a second behind Trinity with a time of 6:03.7.

“It was a close race,” captain Zach Tarlow ’13 said. “Luckily, we have a week to find some more speed before we see the same crews again this upcoming weekend at ECACs. [The] 2V had an awesome row and hopefully will find the same success on Sunday.”

This Saturday, the men will travel to Worcester, Mass., where they will compete in ECAC Championships on Lake Quinsigamond.