Ephs secure 2nd at New Englands

Last Saturday, women’s crew returned to Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass., to compete in the New England Rowing Championships. The team was eager to race against Bates, Trinity and WPI. The women took second behind Trinity.

The first grand final race was the 3V race. The Williams boat attacked the course, fighting hard to stay with its competitors. However, the women slipped slightly behind after the 1000-meter mark, competing with WPI for third place. Ultimately, the Williams boat finished fourth with a time of 7:35.81, seven seconds behind WPI in third. Trinity had the top finish in the race, finishing in 7:06.77.

The next team to compete in its grand final race was the novice eight. Seeded first for this race, the novice boat leapt off the start line, rowing to an instant lead. Trinity fought back, but the women began to pull ahead again at the 1000-meter mark. The Williams novice eight finished with a time of 7:00:0.2, seven seconds ahead of the Trinity boat and the rest of the finalists.

The 2V grand final was next, and the women jumped in, eager to prove themselves.  As with the novice boat, the 2V boat was seeded first. The Bantam boat gained the lead and held it until the 1000-meter mark, when the Eph boat began to walk up to its competitors. The last 250 meters proved to be some of the most exciting of the season as Williams fought Bates, with both crews going stroke for stroke in the last stretch. Despite rallying a number of times, the Williams boat did not gain the lead from Trinity. Trinity finished first with a time of 6:59.8, and Bates sprinted to second place with a time of 7:01.7. The Williams boat finished third in 7:02.5, less than one second behind second-place Bates and less than three seconds behind first-place Trinity. WPI finished 13 seconds behind the women in fourth.

The 1V women were the last to compete in their grand final race. The 1V boat fought hard for the first 1000 meters, creating open water between Williams and Bates by the 750-meter mark. The Bobcat boat pushed forward to try to overtake the Ephs, overlapping with them slightly during the final sprint, but the women held on to finish first in a time of 6:41.27. Bates finished a mere three seconds behind in second, and Trinity was eight seconds off that pace in third.

“Racing was closer than its been in recent years, and we are hungry to find more speed,” co-captain Dana Golden ’13 said.

Williams finished just 10 points short of the women’s points trophy this year, with Trinity taking home first place. The women will be competing again at Lake Quinsigamond this week at the ECAC Championships on Sunday.