Baseball drops pair of games to Bates to end season

Baseball (15-23, 4-8 in the NESCAC) finished its season with two losses in a doubleheader at home against Bates last Sunday after splitting a doubleheader against Suffolk last Saturday and beating Union on April 30.

In the first game of the doubleheader against Bates, Williams fell behind early as Bates scored 10 runs in the first three innings, batting around their lineup three times and chasing starter Steve Marino ’14 after the second inning. Bates added runs in the fourth inning and in the top of the sixth to make the score 12-0 in their favor. In the bottom of the sixth, Williams finally responded, scoring four consolation runs as Luke Pierce ’15 and Tommy Stephens ’14 each drove in runs with a walk and a hit batsman, respectively. Matt Kastner ’14 drove in two more with a single, but the men only mustered four hits by the game’s end.

The beginning of the second game against Bates looked a lot like the first, as Bates started out with another three-run lead before the men even had a chance to bat. This time, though, Williams responded with an RBI double from K.C. Murphy ’13. Phil McGovern ’15 then scored on a passed ball. After holding Bates scoreless in the top of the second, the men tied the game in the bottom of the second courtesy of a pair of Bates errors that saw Kastner score on a Darren Hartwell ’13 groundball that bounced by the shortstop. It was in vain, though, as Bates opened the floodgates in the top of the third, scoring five runs and chasing starter Patrick Blizzard ’13 from the game. Stephens added an RBI triple in the bottom of the third, but Bates again stretched its lead with two runs in the fourth and another in the fifth. In the bottom of the fifth, Stephens added another RBI triple, and in the sixth, the men scored two more with an RBI single from co-captain Taylor Mondshein ’13 and a McGovern fielder’s choice that scored Hartwell. After the sixth, both bullpens pitched well, and Bates held on for an 11-7 victory. Co-captain Jimmy Ray ’13 pitched two scoreless innings of relief, and Stephens led the offense with three hits, all of which were for extra bases.

“[Bates] came in and just crushed the ball,” Ray said. “We put up a little bit of a fight in the second game, but it unfortunately wasn’t enough.”

Last Saturday, Williams traveled to Suffolk and split a pair of well-fought non-conference games. In the first game, Williams got off to a quick lead in the top of the first inning. Hartwell doubled and then moved to third on a Mondshein single, eventually coming home on a McGovern sacrifice fly to centerfield. In the third, the top of the order came through again for the Ephs, as Hartwell singled and then stole second. Mondshein singled him home bringing the score to 2-0. Suffolk then got the better of starter Thomas Murphy ’15, scoring a run in each of the third and fourth innings. The Ephs responded in the top of the fifth as Hartwell scored his third run of the game on a K.C. Murphy groundout. Thomas Murphy pitched a scoreless fifth and Lucas Casso ’13 and Ray finished off the game for a 3-2 victory. Thomas Murphy earned the win, and Ray picked up his fifth save of the season.

“Taking the first game from Suffolk was a great win against a team that will end up with 30 plus wins this year, especially for starting pitcher, Tom Murphy,” Ray said.

The second game started less favorably as Suffolk scored five runs in the first four innings before the men even had one hit. The men’s bats showed signs of life in the top of the fifth as both K.C. Murphy and Marco Hernandez ’14 singled. In the top of the sixth, Williams scored five runs to tie the game. Mondshein drove in Stephens and Kastner with a double and Mondshein came around to score on a McGovern double. K.C. Murphy singled home McGovern and later scored on a wild pitch to tie the game at five. Ray came on and held Suffolk scoreless in the sixth but the men could not manufacture a run in the top of the sixth. In the bottom of the inning Suffolk walked off with the win on a sacrifice fly. Hernandez and K.C. Murphy each had two hits.

On April 30, Williams hosted Union in a non-conference game in which the men fell behind early but rallied late to win an exciting game 8-7. Union led with a score of 3-0 in the top of the second without even recording one hit. Union scored its third unearned run in the top of the fourth, but in the bottom of the fifth the men came storming back, batting around the order and plating four runs to take a 7-6 lead. The men extended their lead in the bottom of the sixth through a Mondshein RBI single that provided an important insurance run. Reliever Casso held Union scoreless in the seventh and eigth innings, and Ray pitched his way out of a jam in the ninth inning to secure the 8-7 win for Williams.

The Ephs graduate eight seniors this year, including Andrew Bishop ’13, Chance Rueger ’13, Ray, Blizzard, Hartwell, Mondshein, K.C. Murphy and Casso.