Women’s track claims fourth at NESCACs

Last Saturday, women’s track competed at the NESCAC Championship meet hosted at Tufts. Although the women had many great individual performances and personal records, they did not secure the championship as a team, finishing fourth behind Tufts, Middlebury and Colby.

In the sprints, Amanda Murashige ’14 and Annie Lynch ’14 took fifth place in 25.83 seconds and sixth place in 25.85 seconds, respectively, in the 200 meter. Ashley Graves ’15 had another strong race in the 400 meter, finishing sixth in a time of 58.89 seconds. Desiree Daring ’13 competed in the event as well, running a time of 59.77 seconds to place 10th. Grace Weatherall ’16 improved her time in the 100-meter hurdles to run a 15.06 and finish fifth. Dianna Mejia ’15 scored points for the team in 400-meter hurdles with a seventh-place finish in 1:07.46. Mejia also competed in the 4×100 meter relay with teammates Lynch, Murashige and Bethany Berry ’16. The team ran a time of 49.37 and finished fifth. The 4×400 meter relay team of Murashige, Graves, Daring and co-captain Rebecca Fine ’13 ran an exciting race, coming in a close second to Colby’s team with a season-best time of 3:52.77.

The distance women had several personal best and qualifier-improving performances. Co-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 ran a difficult double and competed extremely well in both events, placing second in the 1500 meter in 4:35.69 and taking fourth in the 800 meter with a time of 2:16.94. Meg Richardson ’16 competed in the 1500 meter with Mirecki and ran her fastest race of the season in 4:52.06, placing 10th. In the 5k, Kaleigh Kenny ’14 placed third with an incredible time of 17:08.09. Lacey Serletti ’16 also ran a great race, finishing in 17:43.22 to place eighth. Amelia Ortiz ’15 and Leslie Blackshear ’14 both raced the 10k, with Ortiz crossing the line in 37:35.38 to place fourth and Blackshear finishing in 39:53.47 for 14th. In the 3000-meter steeplechase, Borah Lim ’16 scored points for the team with a seventh-place finish in a time of 11:50.85.

In the throws, Amina Avril ’14 had several stellar performances. She placed third in the shot put with a throw of 12.54 meters, second in the discus with a toss of 38.96 meters and second also in the hammer throw with a 51.42-meter hurl. Julie Paschal ’13 had strong performances in both of her events. She tied for second in the high jump, clearing a height of 1.60 meters, and she placed fifth in the long jump with a distance of 5.33 meters. Jenna Adams ’14 dominated the competition in the pole vault, clearing a height of 3.65 meters to win the event. Co-captain Brooke Johnson ’13 earned a first-place finish as well in the triple jump with a jump of 11.25 meters.

“Even though we did not come home with the gold, I was very impressed with how all of my teammates competed throughout the day, some scoring unexpected points and getting season PRs,” Fine said. “Many individuals persevered through their fatigue and soreness for their teammates. One noteworthy performance was the women’s 4×4, consisting of Ashley Graves, Annie Lynch, Desiree Daring and Amanda Murashige, which placed them on the NCAA qualifying list with a time of 3:52.77.”

The women now look ahead to the final weeks of their championship season, competing next Friday and Saturday at the Div. III New England Championships hosted at Colby.