Women’s tennis tops Trinity in 8-1 crusade

Women’s tennis (16-4, 6-2 in the NESCAC) concluded the 2012-13 regular season on Saturday with an 8-1 win over NESCAC rival Trinity.

The women started the match well, sweeping Trinity 3-0 in doubles play. The No. 1 doubles pair of Kara Shoemaker ’14 and Rebecca Curran ’15 won its match easily 8-1 and was followed by an equally impressive 8-3 victory by Kathleen Elkins ’14 and Monica Pastor ’15 at No. 2 doubles. The team of co-captains Veranika Li ’13 and Nancy Worley ’13 fought aggressively in a grueling No. 3 doubles match, eventually coming up with a 9-7 victory.

The Ephs continued their victorious campaign in singles play, winning five of the six matches. Pastor had an impressive win over her Trinity opponent, defeating her 6-2, 6-0. Alex Stone ’16 had a tough first set at No. 5 singles, winning 7-5 in the first set before crushing her opponent 6-1 in the second set. Worley won her first set 6-1 and took the first game of the second set when her opponent retired. Elkins fought hard to beat her opponent in two sets, winning 6-4 in the first and then working to win her second 7-6 (1) for the overall victory. Shoemaker ground out a tough first set, winning 7-6 (7), yet was unfazed and went on to win her second set 6-3.

“Trinity is a strong team, and I think the match was excellent preparation for the NESCAC tournament,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “They pushed us in all our first sets of singles, but we were able to take control of the match. We also came out with a great start in doubles, which I think gives us some good momentum for practices this week.”

The team is looking forward to continuing its strong performance in the postseason. “We are focused on improving the fundamentals, working hard for our teammates and rebounding quickly and confidently from any momentum shifts,” Swain said.

The women head into postseason play as five-time defending Div. III NCAA champions. Their first match of the postseason comes on Friday when they compete in the NESCAC championship at Amherst.