Women’s crew sweeps field, defends title at home race on Lake Onota

Last weekend, women’s crew raced against Coast Guard and Ithaca at its home site of Lake Onota in Pittsfield, Mass. With the best conditions that women have seen all season and energized by racing at home for the first time this season, the women defended the Onota Cup against Coast Guard and Ithaca.

The 3V boat opened the day of racing against Ithaca’s 3V boat. Despite several significant line-up changes this week, the women pushed ahead, determined to win their race. The Williams boat was in the lead from the very start of the race, and they finished first, almost 30 seconds ahead of the Ithaca boat with a time of 7:09.5.

The 1V boat was the next to race, competing against both Ithaca and Coast Guard. The women surged ahead and had open water between them and both of their competitors by the time they crossed the 1000-meter mark. The women finished with a time of 6:49.7, followed by Ithaca with a time of 7:06.2 and the Coast Guard with a time of 7:17.9.

The 2V boat raced against Ithaca in a head-to-head battle. The Williams boat started of strongly and kept a clean, steady rhythm, walking through Ithaca at the 1000-meter mark and keeping its lead through the end of the race. The women finished with a time of 7:10.0, six seconds ahead of Ithaca.

The novice boats were the last to race. In this race, Williams put two boats on the water, using recent walk-ons and rookies to round out the second novice boat. The second novice boat had never raced with this line-up before and was eager to hit the water and prove themselves against fierce competitors. The first novice boat finished first with a time of 7:28.8 followed by Coast Guard and Ithaca with times of 7:35.3 and 7:36.3, respectively. The second novice finished behind them with a time of 8:00.6 in fourth.

“Racing on our home Lake Onota is always a highlight of the spring season. With the support of our parents and friends, we had a strong showing at all levels,” co-captain Katherine Amano ’13 said. “New Englands this coming week and ECACs the following week are two more adventures amongst the many which have made up our season. We will approach them with the same poise, enthusiasm and determination we have carried throughout our season.”

The women will look to use their victory as momentum heading into the New England Rowing Championship on Saturday in Worcester, Mass.