Men’s tennis swings past Tufts, Trinity 8-1

Last Sunday, men’s tennis (16-3, 7-1 in the NESCAC) traveled to Tufts, winning 8-1 in the final regular season match. Last Wednesday, the men played host to Trinity, also winning 8-1. The men finished with the second best NESCAC record.

In the men’s last regular season match of the spring last Saturday, the Ephs topped the Jumbos 8-1. Alexander Schidlovsky ’16 and co-captain Trey Meyer ’13 gave the Ephs their first win of the day, taking their No. 1 doubles match by a score of 8-3. Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 continued the men’s momentum, overpowering their opponents at No. 2 doubles in an 8-3 win. Bryan Chow ’13 and Brian Astrachan ’16 rounded out doubles play at No. 3, dispatching their opponents 8-5.

Up 3-0 going into singles, the men lost only one match. At No. 2 singles, Micheli was ultimately bested by his opponent in straight sets, losing 6-4, 6-4. The other men all won in straight sets. Meyer took down his opponent 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1. Sun next defeated Jumbo Jay Glickman at No. 3 singles 6-3, 6-4. Playing at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively, Zach Weiss ’13 and Chow both overpowered their opponents.  In the closest matches of singles play, Dylan Page ’13 fought until the end to defeat Jumbo Mark Westerfield 7-5, 6-3.

Last Wednesday, the men beat Trinity 8-1, taking victories in all three doubles matches and dropping only one singles match. Schidlovsky and Meyer downed their opponents 8-3 at No. 1 doubles, while Micheli and Sun won 8-2 at No. 2. Astrachan and Chow fought to an impressive 8-1 victory at No. 3 doubles.

Meyer, Weiss and Chow all took their singles matches in straight sets. Meyer defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-4 at No. 1 singles, while Weiss beat his 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4. Chow overpowered his Bantam competitor 6-3, 6-2 at No. 5 singles. After dropping his first set 3-6, Micheli stormed back to take the next two games 6-3, 6-4 for a victory at No. 2 singles. Sun won his first set 6-3, but after dropping the second set 4-6, he fought hard for a 7-6 third-set win for the victory at No. 3 singles. Page lost his No. 6 singles match in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2.

“We finished off the regular season strong with two good wins against tough NESCAC opponents,” co-captain Charlie Hammond ’13 said. “We’ve put ourself in a great position heading into the postseason. The NESCAC tournament always brings the best out of its teams, and we look forward to the tough competition ahead.”

After a strong regular season, the men now look to the post-season. First up is the NESCAC Championship this weekend, where the men are seeded second. Amherst is ranked first in the tournament, with an undefeated conference record and a 26-7 record overall. The men will take on the winner of the Tufts-Middlebury matchup. Tufts comes into the tournament ranked sixth with a 4-6 conference record, 9-7 overall, while Middlebury is ranked third with a 5-2 conference record, 17-3 overall. The men’s match is scheduled for this Saturday at 9 a.m. at Amherst.