Women’s track captures 28th straight Little 3 title

Women’s track and field dominated last weekend at the Little Three Championships. The Little Three was the last meet held at the Plansky track, the women’s home track, before it is rebuilt next year. Williams earned its 28th consecutive victory, scoring 187 points to Wesleyan’s 105 points and Amherst’s 70 points.

The distance and mid-distance women had several strong performances, including a win by Lacey Serletti ’16 in the steeplechase. Despite suffering an ankle injury early in the race, the rookie completed her first ever steeple in a time of 11:38.17. The Ephs also took first place in the 1500 meter and 800 meter. Kaleigh Kenny ’14 defended her 1500-meter Little Three title in 4:40.80, followed closely by co-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 with a time of 4:42.06. Mirecki also earned a first-place finish in the 800 meter, finishing in a time of 2:19.84. Co-captain Rebecca Fine ’13 took third in the event, finishing in 2:22.98. In the 5k, Leslie Blackshear ’14 competed for the first time since returning from an injury and finished fourth with a time of 18:58.06. Meg Richardson ’16 followed close behind in fifth place with her best time of the season, 19:14.06.

The Ephs also dominated the Jeffs and Cardinals in the sprints. The 4×100 relay team of Dianna Mejia ’15, Annie Lynch ’14, Amanda Murashige ’14 and Bethany Berry ’16 beat Wesleyan and Amherst for a first-place finish in 50.10 seconds. The 100 meter was a competitive race, with Murashige and Lynch finishing third and fourth with times of 12.84 and 12.85, respectively. Wesleyan took first and second in the 100 meter. The women had great performances in the 200 meter, with Murashige winning the event in an impressive 25.70 seconds and Lynch taking second with a time of 26.13. Ashley Graves ’15 had a breakout performance in the 400 meter, winning the event in a season-best time of 58.64. Desiree Daring ’13 finished in a close second with a time of 59.74. Grace Weatherall ’16 earned another first-place finish for the Ephs in the 100-meter hurdles in a speedy 15.33 seconds. Mejia finished third in 16.81 seconds. Mejia also competed in the 400 meter hurdles, running a second-place time of 1:09.49. Borah Lim ’16 ran in the event for the first time and earned points for the team with a fourth-place finish in a time of 1:14.17. To close out the running events, the Williams 4×400 relay team of Murashige, Lynch, Daring and Fine demolished their competition to win the event with a time of 4:03.89. The Williams ‘B’ team of Mejia, Haley Stewart ’15, Jessica O’Brien ’16 and Sarah Cottrill ’15 took third in 4:10.03.

Some of the most impressive performances of the meet were earned in the field events. Williams was particularly dominant in the jumps, with Julie Paschal ’13 and Elise Pitmon ’16 finishing one-two in the high jump, both clearing the bar at 1.55 meters. The Ephs also took first, second and third place in the long jump; co-captain Tanasia Hoffler ’13 jumped 5.54 meters, co-captain Brooke Johnson ’13 hit 5.41 meters and Paschal earned a 5.30-meter mark. The women swept the triple jump as well, with Johnson taking first with a season-best jump of 11.68 meters, Elena Zifkin ’16 earning second with a distance of 10.32 meters and Berry placing third with a jump of 10.12 meters. Jenna Adams ’14 had an incredible performance in the pole vault, clearing a height of 3.81 meters to set a new Little Three record.

Amina Avril ’14 dominated the competition in the throws, winning each of her three events. She won the discus with a throw of 37.92 meters, the shot put with a throw of 11.52 meters and the hammer throw with a toss of 53.78 meters, a new Little Three record. Berry also had a strong performance in the hammer throw, placing second with a throw of 40.13 meters, and Zatio Kone ’16 finished third. Pitmon launched the shot put 9.56 meters for a second-place finish in the event. Pitmon also won the javelin with a mark of 25.46 meters.

“Everyone did a great job at Little Threes,” Mirecki said. “The sprinters ran very well overall despite the strong wind, with stand-out performances from Ashley [Graves], Amanda [Murashige] and Desiree [Daring]. I was really impressed with Lacey [Serletti], who injured her ankle early on in the steeple but fought through to become a Little Three Champion. Jenna [Adams] and Amina [Avril] both had amazing performances as well, and it was great for the team to have Tanasia [Hoffler] return to the long jump in addition to the triple jump for the first time since her hamstring injury. Overall, especially with girls coming back from injuries, we are looking a lot more prepared to defend our NESCAC title next weekend by holding off Tufts and avenging our Div. III New England loss during the indoor season.”

Williams next competes at the NESCAC Championships at Tufts this Saturday. Following that meet, they look to a string of championships including Div. III New Englands, ECACs and finally Div. III NCAAs to close out the season.