Women’s lax splits 2 NESCAC games

Women’s lacrosse (8-6, 3-6 in the NESCAC) took on two NESCAC rivals this week, storming past Hamilton 14-6 on Wednesday but falling 16-7 to Amherst on Saturday.

At Amherst on Saturday, the Jeffs set the tone for the game, scoring just 2:29 into the first half and again at 7:50. After several Williams’ shots, Becca Bell ’15 converted one into a goal. Amherst pulled ahead after scoring again after 14 minutes of play, but its lead was quickly cut to one by a goal from Emily Whicker ’13. Within a three-minute span, Amherst added three goals to its lead. This run was momentarily halted by a goal from Natalie Gill ’16 with 6:56 remaining in the half. Amherst dominated the possession for most of the remainder of the half until co-captain Sam Weinstein ’13 added a free position goal on a man down possession in the last 25 seconds to make the score 8-4 Amherst.

Weinstein’s goal wasn’t enough to slow the Jeffs, who came out strong in the second half, scoring three goals within the first 10 minutes of back-and-forth play. Elizabeth Ryan ’13 had an impressive run up the field that ended in a free position goal 11:37 into the second half, but Amherst continued its dominant offensive run by notching three more goals within the following 10 minutes to make the score 14–5. Goals by Becca McGovern ’14 and Bridget Malicki ’15 were not enough to slow Amherst’s momentum. The two teams traded possessions for the last 10 minutes of the game, ending with a score of 16-7 in Amherst’s favor. The Ephs tallied an impressive 18 shots and had seven different players score.

Wednesday was a completely different story. The women blew past Hamilton with a 14-6 win at Renzie Lamb Field, led by an impressive performance by Ali Piltch ’14 in goal, with 13 saves.

Hamilton began the game with an early goal, but Williams rebounded with a goals from Stephanie Gallo ’14, Gill and Weinstein. Both teams had opportunities, but the next goal was not scored until Malicki put away a free position shot with 3:00 to play in the half. Hamilton netted a goal with six seconds to go in the half to pull the score back to 4-2 in favor of Williams at halftime.

Hamilton opened the second half with a quick goal that the women used as motivation for the remainder of the game. After winning the draw, Gallo converted the possession into a goal. Free position goals by Gill and McGovern added to the Ephs’ lead. Hamilton looked to slip back into the game with a goal at 19:54, but the Ephs were not phased and proceeded to go on a five-goal scoring run. Malicki started the run with an unassisted goal, followed by three goals by Gallo and one more by Malicki. The Continentals put a momentary stop to the Ephs’ scoring streak with 1:44 left in the game, but Maggie MacCallum ’14 managed a goal a mere 10 seconds later off an assist from Maeve Mulholland ’15. Hamilton had the final say with a goal in the final 11 seconds of play, but Williams captured the win 14-6. Williams finished the game with 23 shots; Hamilton had 24. Hamilton led in groundballs (12-3) and draw controls (11-10). Piltch’s 13 saves were key for the Ephs.

“Ali [Piltch] had a great game in net, and our attack did a great job taking good shots and placing them,” Weinstein said. “It was an exciting win, and it was great to see the whole team contribute to the victory.”

The Ephs take on NESCAC rival Middlebury in Vermont at 5 p.m. on Wednesday to close out the regular season.