Women’s golf surges to 2nd at Leaman

On Sunday, women’s golf captured second place in the Jack Leaman Invitational at Mount Holyoke. Following strong performances by Georgiana Salant ’14 and Becky Miller ’13, the women passed NYU on Day Two but fell short of winner Ithaca, who shot a 322 to win by two strokes.

On Day One, the tournament was played at Amherst’s Hickory Ridge Golf Club. Following heavy rains overnight, the course proved difficult, as the greens and fairways were very soft from the water. Managing tough conditions, Paige Whidbee ’15 surged for the Ephs, leading the team with a 78 on the day, one of only four players in the field to break 80. Salant and Shelby Shote ’15 rounded out the top scorers for the women, posting tallies of 80 and 81, respectively.

On Day Two at Mount Holyoke’s Orchards Golf Club, the Ephs faced better conditions. The women carded a collective 319, better than Ithaca’s mark of 322 but still two strokes short of the win. Salant turned in an impressive performance, notching three birdies en route to a 77. Miller and Shote posted matching 79s, with Miller sinking a birdie put on 18 to stay under 80. Playing in the last group, Whidbee showed poise amidst a tough start, eventually settling into a rhythm and shooting 85.

Although the women gained three strokes on Ithaca, they fell just short and were handed their first loss of the season. The Ephs performed well amid uncertain conditions and unfamiliar courses, which bodes well for the upcoming weeks.

“To experience the challenge of making a comeback on the final day of competitive play was great for us,” Head Coach Erika DeSanty said. “I know the experience has refocused and motivated us for the weeks ahead.”

The women will have their next competition on their home course, as they host the Williams Spring Invitational, held at the Taconic Golf Club this Saturday. Tee time is at noon.