Women’s crew turns in dominant performance over Wesleyan

Last Saturday, women’s crew traveled to the Little Three Regatta at Lake Quinsigamond to face Wesleyan. The cross-tail wind meant crews could post quick times over the 2000 meter course. Overall, the Ephs performed admirably, with every crew finishing first in its respective race, allowing the women to win Little Threes.

Starting out the day, the 1V boat had an impressive race. Despite some last-minute lineup changes, the Ephs pulled ahead of the Cardinals at the 1000-meter mark. The women maintained their advantage, consistently pulling further ahead to nab first place, finishing with a time of 6:31.5. The Wesleyan boat was 12 seconds behind in second.

The 2V boat continued Williams’ dominance on the water, rowing a speedy 6:51.0 to earn the victory. The women immediately took a clear advantage in the head-to-head race, edging ahead by the 500-meter mark. Again, there were line-up changes and despite a shakier final 1000 meters, the Ephs maintained their lead. The Cardinal boat finished in a time of 7:09.6, more than 18 seconds behind the Ephs.

The Williams novice boat and the 3V crew both raced against the Wesleyan 3V squad. Once more, both boats had to deal with line-up swaps, yet still put in a spectacular performance. The novice crew pulled ahead after 500 meters, and the 3V crew pulled away from the Cardinal boat in the last 1000 meters to finish second. Both crews beat Wesleyan, finishing in times of 7:11.5 and 7:20.3 for the novice boat and the 3V boat respectively. The Cardinals crew finished third with a time of 7:38.3.

“We’re excited about where we are and constantly searching for more speed as we approach our home race this weekend and then championship season,” co-captain Dana Golden ’13 said.

Despite the huge victory, the women know there is still room for improvement before championships. Williams hosts a home race on Lake Onota on Saturday, where the women will look to continue their momentum against Ithaca, Coast Guard and Bucknell.