Men’s tennis dominates weekend

On Sunday, men’s tennis (14-3, 6-1 in the NESCAC) picked up another win to cap off a successful week of matches, taking down Colby 9-0. The day before, the men notched a decisive 7-2 victory over No. 9 Middlebury. Last Thursday the men downed Bates 8-1.

The men hosted NESCAC foe Colby Sunday morning. The men wasted no time during doubles, with the No. 1 team of co-captain Trey Meyer ’13 and Alex Schidlovsky ’16 first off the court with an 8-1 win. Shortly after, Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 beat their opponents by a similar margin, winning 8-2. The duo of Bryan Chow ’13 and Brian Astrachan ’16 was also victorious at No. 3 doubles, winning 8-6 and giving the Ephs a 3-0 lead going into singles play.

The Ephs continued their strong performance in singles. In a slightly different lineup than normal, Sun was at No. 1 singles, taking down his opponent 6-1, 6-3. His fellow seniors Zach Weiss ’13, Chow and Dylan Page ’13 also had straight set victories at Nos. 2, 3 and 4 singles, respectively. Howie Weiss ’16 and Astrachan rounded out the lineup with wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, give the Ephs their 9-0 overall win.

On Saturday, the men went on the road to challenge another NESCAC competitor on their home courts at Middlebury. The Ephs picked up a tidy 7-2 win over the perennial Div. III NCAA Championship competitors. Williams opened strong in doubles play, sweeping all three positions to go up 3-0. Meyer and Schidlovsky won their proset 8-6, Micheli and Sun won 8-5 and Chow and Astrachan won 8-4 at Nos. 1, 2 and 3 doubles, respectively. Notably, Micheli and Sun went on a seven-game winning streak at No. 2 doubles after going down 4-1 initially.

Williams carried its momentum from doubles into singles play, winning four of the six singles matches. Zach Weiss at No. 4 singles had a particularly impressive victory, dropping only three games en route to a 6-0, 6-3 win. Page was put in the lineup at No. 6 singles and proved himself with a straight-set 6-3, 6-2 win.

Last Thursday, the men took on Bates, eventually moving indoors due to darkness. Once again, the men clinched all three doubles matches, carrying the energy into singles. In singles, the Ephs were challenged at a few positions, but still won five of the six matches. At Nos. 1, 3 and 4 singles the matches went to three sets. At No. 1, Meyer pulled off a 6-1, 1-6, 6-2 win. At No. 3, Micheli claimed a 6-3, 6-7 (10), 11-9 win, settled in a super tiebreaker because the match was already decided. Zach Weiss was narrowly edged out in his three-set match, ultimately losing 7-5 in the third set.

Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 was happy with the team’s performance. “After the tough loss to Amherst, it was great to see us bounce back against Bates, Midd. and Colby,” Greenberg said. “It’s not an easy string of matches, so it definitely shows some progress to beat those teams; we just need to keep doing the same work with the same intensity for our last two matches and the post-season.”

Next up for the men is NESCAC competitor Trinity at 4 p.m. today. They then travel to Tufts on Sunday at 1 p.m. to compete in the regular season finale.