Men’s crew claims Little 3 win against Wesleyan

Last Sunday, men’s crew faced  Wesleyan in the Little Three regatta and emerged as the overwhelming victors, bringing home the Saratoga Oar and the Calhoun Cup. Although Amherst traditionally competes in Little Three competitions, Amherst has not competed in the event for several years.

The Ephs were originally supposed to race the Cardinals at their home course on the Connecticut River. However, torrential rains and debris made the river unfit for racing last weekend. The location was then changed to Lake Quinsigamond in Shrewsbury, Mass. Last Sunday, conditions at Lake Quinsigamond were favorable.

The racing started in the early afternoon, with the 1V competing first. The men exploded off the start, fighting Wesleyan for the first half of the race. The Ephs then began to move away from the Cardinal crew, steadily increasing their lead and eventually leaving them behind as the men crossed the finish line in 5:50.4, 10 seconds ahead of the Cardinals, who finished in a time of 6:00.4. This victory earned the men the Saratoga Oar, a trophy dating back to 1969 that is given to the winner of the Little Three.

“It was a solid race,” Captain Zach Tarlow ’13 said. “The crew executed our plan well and really moved through the other boat. We’re definitely getting faster.”

The next boat to battle Wesleyan was the 2V. Both crews flew off the start, staying neck-and-neck for the entire race. In a stellar finish, the Ephs muscled enough power to just slip by the Cardinals and finish in 6:00.4, thus winning the Calhoun Cup, which is the award for the 2V race. Wesleyan finished just behind the men, with a time of 6:01.4.

The 3V was the last to race, taking on a Wesleyan 3V and a 4V boat. The men fought hard to pass the Wesleyan 3V, but Wesleyan stayed ahead and finished ahead of the 3V by just a few seconds. However, the Ephs thoroughly dispatched the 4V, beating them by nearly 20 seconds. The final times were 6:17.4 for the Cardinals’ 3V, 6:25.4 for the Ephs’ 3V and 6:43.8 for the Cardinals’ 4V.

This Saturday, the men return to competition to face Ithaca, Coast Guard and Bucknell at Lake Onota, the men’s home lake.