Ephs top Mules 9-0, fall to Jeffs 5-4

Women’s tennis (15-4, 5-2 in the NESCAC) suffered a tough loss on Saturday when they fell 5-4 to NESCAC and Little Three rival Amherst. After falling behind 3-0 in doubles, the singles rally was just not enough to put the Ephs on top. On Sunday, the Ephs bounced back with a decisive 9-0 win over Colby.

The Colby match started off with three strong performances in doubles competition. At No. 2 doubles, the team of Maria Pylypiv ’15 and Kathleen Elkins ’14 crushed its opponent in an 8-0 victory. Kara Shoemaker ’14 and Rebecca Curran ’15 won their No. 1 doubles match 8-3, and the team of co-captains Nancy Worley ’13 and Veranika Li ’13 pulled off an 8-4 victory. The Ephs led a similarly impressive singles campaign against the Mules, winning each match in straight sets. Li had a particularly impressive 6-0, 6-0 sweep of her opponent. Alex Stone ’16 crushed her No. 3 singles opponent 6-0, 6-1 while her classmate Riqui McCoy ’16 won 6-3, 6-3 in her No. 5 singles match. Monica Pastor ’15 had an exciting first set, which she won 7-5, and pulled out the victory with a 6-2 win in the second set. Worley crushed her opponent 6-0 in her first set and closed out the win with a 6-3 victory in the second. Shoemaker won her No. 1 singles match 6-3, 6-2 to finish the victory for the Ephs.

Against Amherst, the No. 1 doubles team of Curran and Shoemaker lost its match 8-1. Neither of the other doubles teams came up with a win, as Elkins and Pylypiv lost 8-4 at No. 2 and Worley and Li lost 8-5. The Ephs fared better in singles play, winning four of the six matches. After losing a tough first set 7-5 in her No. 2 singles match, Elkins rallied to win her next two sets 6-3, 6-4 and capture the victory. Curran also had a three-set match, losing her first set 6-4 before bouncing back to win the next two 6-3, 6-4. Worley had the most exciting match of the day, losing her first set 6-4 but winning her second set 6-2. The third set came down to a tiebreak, but Worley had the determination to grind out a 7-6 tiebreak win. Pylypiv had the shortest victory for the Ephs, winning a difficult first set 7-5 and then crushing her opponent in the second set 6-1.

“In our match against Amherst, while we were disappointed with the loss, I think our team felt good about the way we came out in singles play after being swept in doubles,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “I’m particularly encouraged by our ability to win four of the six singles matches against the number one team in the country. I know we can still get better as a team in the weeks ahead, but I think we are competing with a lot of heart and determination.”

The women’s next match is on Saturday away against NESCAC rival Trinity at 12 p.m.