Ephs cruise to 1st at Taconic

Last weekend, men’s golf took first place at the Williams Spring Invitational at the Taconic Golf Club. This victory is the fifth first-place finish out of eight events for the Ephs this year.

The course was soft after the heavy rains on Friday night. Cold winds in the afternoon on Saturday made for less than ideal playing conditions, but the Ephs still  finished in first place after the first day of play.

Williams hosted eight teams and was represented by an ‘A’ and ‘B’ team. After the first day, the Williams ‘A’ team had a six-stroke advantage over Hamilton, posting 314, and the Williams ‘B’ team stood in third place. NESCAC rivals Trinity and Middlebury were close behind in fourth and fifth place, respectively.

On Saturday, Jake Goldenring ’15 and Dylan Dethier ’14 had the two lowest scores for the Ephs with matching 77s, good enough to tie for fourth place individually on Day One. Jake Abrahams ’14 was one stroke behind them in fifth.

Max Elgart ’16 led the ‘B’ team on Saturday with 79 strokes, followed closely by co-captain Wyatt Sparks ’13 and Tony Liu ’16 with 80s and co-captain Jack Ervasti ’13 with 83.

Cold winds on Sunday created a challenging environment for all golfers, but the Ephs maintained their consistent level of play. The Ephs extended their lead from round one to win the invitational by 11 strokes with a score of 633. The Williams ‘B’ team moved up to clinch second place with a score of 644, narrowly edging Hamilton, who secured third place with 645.

Dethier matched his Saturday score for a two-day total of 154, earning second individually. Matt McCarron ’14 was the only other member of the winning Williams team to break 80 on Sunday. Goldenring, Abrahams and Ross Bowen ’14 anchored the Williams lineup with totals of 81, 82 and 82, respectively on Day Two.

The Williams ‘B’ team was again led by Elgart on Sunday, who posted a sub-80 score both days for a two-day total of 158. Mike Stone ’16 posted a final tally of 164, and Sparks and Ervasti secured the ‘B’ team’s second place finish with final scores of 163 and 164, respectively.

Jonathan Dely ’15 and Nate McCue ’15 led the men’s individual performers with two-day totals of 168.

Hosting the Williams Spring Invitational allowed the Ephs to showcase the depth of the squad. Both teams overcame poor weather conditions and played steadily to take down six NESCAC foes, including Amherst, Bowdoin, Middlebury, Hamilton, Trinity and Wesleyan.

“I think [last] weekend was one of the best performances our team has put out so far,” Head Coach Josh Hillman said. “They battled very tough conditions with the wind and cold and still came out on top. It also goes to show at how deep our team is right now by finishing one-two with our ‘A’ team and ‘B’ team. Williams golf is in a very good spot right now”

The men will head to the Hickory Ridge Golf Course at Amherst today to take on Wesleyan and Amherst in the Little Three Championship. Following that, the men travel to Trinity for NESCAC championships this weekend.