Women’s track snares 6th against Div. I competition

Women’s track and field traveled to UMass Amherst last Saturday to compete at the Minuteman Invitational. Despite plenty of Div. I competition, the Ephs finished sixth out of 20 teams and had many great performances.

The distance women earned several personal bests and qualifying times. Borah Lim ’16 and Sophie Chatas ’16 competed in their first steeplechase, with Lim placing fourth with an impressive time of 11:48.70 and Chatas finishing fifth with a time of 12:01.82. Kaleigh Kenny ’14 led the 1500 meter for the Ephs with a time of 4:39.58, placing 6th. Lacey Serletti ’16 also ran a great race, finishing in 4:44.43, and Meg Richardson ’16 ran a time of 4:59.39. Kathryn McNaughton ’16 ran a season-best time of 2:22.58 in the 800 meter, followed by Rebecca Fine ’13 and Emily Gaddis ’15. Continuing the streak of strong distance performances were tri-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 and Amelia Ortiz ’15 in the 5k. Mirecki finished fourth in 17:25.71 and Ortiz finished ninth in 18:02.47.

The sprinters had an exciting meet, beginning with several impressive performances in the 400 meter. Three Ephs ran the race in under a minute: Amanda Murashige ’14 finished fifth with a time of 58.87 seconds, while Desiree Daring ’13 and Ashley Graves ’15 followed with times of 59.18 and 59.34 seconds, placing seventh and eighth, respectively. Fine ran a time of 1:00.07, and Dianna Mejia ’15 finished in 1:00.29. Murashige also ran the fastest time for the women in the 200 meter, finishing in 26.26 seconds. Annie Lynch ’15 ran a time of 26.42 seconds, and Daring a time of 26.49 seconds. Mejia competed in the 400-meter hurdles, posting a time of 1:10.40.

In the field events, Amina Avril ’14 represented the Ephs in the throws with strong performances in the shot put and discus. Her throw of 13.18 meters earned her a fourth-place finish in the shot, and she placed third in the discus with a 44.20-meter throw. Tri-captain Tanasia Hoffler ’13, returning from injury, and tri-captain Brooke Johnson ’13 competed in the triple jump, placing fifth and sixth with jumps of 11.17 meters and 10.86 meters, respectively. Johnson also placed eighth in the long jump with a distance of 5.11 meters. Jenna Adams ’14 won the pole vault, clearing an impressive height of 3.75 meters.

“The meet went very well all-around,” Assistant Coach Howard Powell said. “There were several personal records in events in all areas of competition, and the women are on the path to a successful championship season.”

Next Saturday, Williams hosts the Little Three Championship, which will be the last meet hosted at Weston Field and will mark the start of championship season for the team.