Women’s tennis notches 3 shutouts

Women’s tennis (14-3, 4-1 in the NESCAC) put in three strong performances last weekend, blanking all three of their opponents 9-0. On Saturday, Williams annihilated NESCAC rivals Tufts. Despite having two matches on Sunday, the women were unfazed and came away victors against both Rochester and Hamilton.

Williams defeated NESCAC opponent Hamilton 9-0 on Sunday afternoon, completing a 27-0 weekend. Rebecca Curran ’15 and Kara Shoemaker ’14 at No. 1 doubles started the match on a high note for the Ephs, cruising through their No. 1 doubles opponents 8-0. Maria Pylypiv ’15 and Kathleen Elkins ’14 won their doubles match 8-1 at No. 2 doubles, and co-captains Nancy Worley ’13 and Veranika Li ’13 at No. 3 doubles defeated their opponents 8-2. The Ephs stayed strong through the singles matches, dominating the Continentals, and not dropping more than three games in any match. At No. 1 singles, Elkins crushed her opponent 6-1, 6-0, and Worley, Alex Stone ’16 and Riqui McCoy ’16 all won by that same score as well. Curran won her No. 2 singles match 6-2, 6-1, and Monica Pastor ’15 defeated her opponent 6-0, 6-2.

Earlier in the day, the women also claimed a victory against Rochester. Playing at Hamilton, the Ephs swept the Yellowjackets 9-0, again not allowing their opponents to win more than three cumulative games in a match. The No. 2 doubles pair of Pylypiv and Elkins crushed their opponents, once more winning 8-0. At No. 1 doubles, Curran and Shoemaker pulled off a decisive 8-1 win, while the No. 3 doubles team of Worley and Li won their match 8-2.

The Ephs were equally successful in their singles campaign, with five of the six players winning at least one set 6-0. Worley had a noteworthy performance when she beat her No. 4 singles opponent 6-1, 6-0. Stone also played incredibly and coasted to an easy 6-0, 6-0 victory.

The women started their three-contest weekend strong with a 9-0 win over NESCAC rival Tufts on Saturday. The Ephs pulled ahead early when the doubles pair of Curran and Shoemaker won 8-1 at No. 1. The No. 3 doubles team of Li and Worley replicated this score, while Pylypiv and Elkins rounded out the doubles victories, winning their No. 2 doubles match 8-3.

The team was equally successful in singles, winning all six matches in straight sets. Shoemaker had an exciting No. 1 singles match in which she won her first set in a tiebreaker before rallying to crush her opponent 6-1 in the second set. At No. 3 singles, Curran also won her first set in a tiebreaker and hung on in the second set, winning it 6-4. The rest of the team had strong singles matches with no one dropping more than five combined games over their two sets.

“Going 27-0 [last] weekend was very exciting for us,” Worley said. “We all felt that we played the really smart, aggressive tennis, especially in doubles, that we’ve made our goal for this season.”

“We played some of our most aggressive tennis [last] weekend,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “It is great to see that we are still improving with each week and each match, and that clearly showed in both our singles and doubles play against Tufts and Rochester in particular.”

The women’s next contest is against NESCAC and Little Three rival Amherst at home on Saturday at 1 p.m.