Men’s tennis stumbles 5-4 against Amherst

Men’s tennis (11-3, 3-1 in the NESCAC) lost a close 5-4 match against Amherst last Sunday after they were unable to keep control of their early lead. This loss followed an impressive 9-0 win over Vassar on Friday.

The men opened the match against Amherst with three consecutive wins in doubles. First, co-captain Trey Meyer ’13 and Alex Schidlovsky ’16 stifled their opponents 8-4 at No. 1 doubles. Matt Micheli ’14 and Felix Sun ’13 did not have as easy of a time at No. 2 doubles, but they still downed their opponents in a tiebreak 9-8. Bryan Chow ’13 and Brian Astrachan ’16 also needed a tiebreak at No. 3 doubles to defeat the rival Jeffs 9-8.

The men could not keep up their momentum going into singles play, however, and lost all but one singles matchup. Meyer at No. 1, Micheli at No. 2, Chow at No. 5 and Howie Weiss ’16 at No. 6 all lost their matches in straight sets, though Meyer and Chow were almost able to force third sets, losing their second sets 7-6. Micheli lost his sets 6-2 and 6-4, while Howie Weiss lost his sets 6-3 and 6-3. Sun, playing at No. 3 singles, won his first set 6-4, but his opponent came back to win the next two sets 6-4 and 6-1. Zach Weiss ’13 managed the only singles win for the Ephs on the day. After trading sets with his opponent, winning the first 6-4 and losing the second 6-4, Zach Weiss stormed back to take the third set 6-4. Unfortunately, Zach Weiss’ singles win was not enough to propel the Ephs past the Jeffs, and the men lost their first conference match 5-4.

On Friday, the men secured a shutout victory against Vassar. They once again led 3-0 after doubles, with Astrachan and Chow winning 8-0 at No. 3 doubles and Micheli and Sun knocking off their opponents 8-2 at No. 2 doubles. Meyer and Schidlovsky needed a tiebreak in order to win their match, but they came away with a 9-8 win.

Heading into singles play, the men did not slow down. They took all of their singles matches in straight sets, with Micheli and Howard Weiss having particularly impressive days, winning 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 and 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6, respectively. Sun won 6-4, 6-3 at No. 2 singles, while Zach Weiss took his sets 6-4 and 7-5. With two 6-2 wins, Chow took down his opponent at No. 5 singles, following Meyer’s 6-4, 6-3 win. The day ended 9-0 in favor of the Ephs.

“We were solid against Vassar at every spot, and it was good to see things we’ve worked on pay off,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “We played even better doubles on Sunday at Amherst, but unfortunately they edged us in singles and credit to them for playing a great match. That said, it was a good gauge for us going forward. We know what we need to work on for the big matches ahead and we’re ready for the challenge.”

The men will finish out their season with five conference games. The men next look to Bates on Thursday at home at 4 p.m. Following that match, the men travel to Middlebury on Saturday for a 1 p.m. match, returning home the next day for a 10:30 a.m. match against Colby.