Men’s crew overpowers strong field at Donahue

Despite cold weather, men’s crew swept the Donahue Cup at Lake Quinsigamond, taking down MIT, WPI and Franklin & Marshall in the process. Conditions were calm, and there was little wind, making for a great day of crew racing.

The 1V boat was the first to take to the water. They raced the same line-up as they did on April 6 at Hobart. Though the men had a tough start, they fought back in the third 500-meter stretch, overtaking MIT with an impressive sprint to finish in first place. The men finished in a time of 6:05.02, beating MIT by 4.4 seconds, WPI by 12.6 seconds and Franklin & Marshall by 37.1 seconds.

After the 1V boat surged to victory, the 2V boat began their race. Their line-up was a combination of the 2V and freshman boat from April 6. Though the men once again fell behind MIT in the opening 1000 meters, they pulled ahead in the final 500 meters, putting together an impressive piece and taking home first place.  The 2V boat beat MIT by 4.8 seconds and WPI by 10.4 seconds. They finished in a final time of 6:17.3

Next for the Ephs was the 3V boat. Although it was not a novice boat in name, all the rowers were freshmen with the exception of one varsity rower. The 3V boat only competed against WPI. They beat WPI by nearly eight seconds, finishing in a time of 6:40.4.

“We made some big improvements [last] weekend and put together a solid piece,” Captain Zach Tarlow ’13 said. “We look forward to making more improvements as we progress through the season.”

This Saturday the men will compete in the Little Three competition. They will only faceoff against Wesleyan, as Amherst opted not to participate a few years ago. The men will practice throughout the week before traveling to Middletown, Conn., on Saturday.