Ephs rebound for 2nd place

Last weekend, men’s golf traveled to Middlefield, Conn., to compete in the Manhattanville Invite. Saturday saw cool conditions, with the grass still soft from rain on Friday. After Day One, the men were in fourth place, five strokes behind Div. II schools St. Thomas Aquinas and Adelphi and four stokes behind Div. III powerhouse Skidmore. The men made up strokes on Day Two, ending the invite in second place with a two-day total of 602, losing by just one stroke to Skidmore.

Coming back from his tremendous performance in Florida, Jake Goldenring ’15 held second place individually after the first day with 73 strokes, two strokes better than teammate Matt McCarron ’14 with 75. Cody Semmelrock ’14 had the third best score for the Ephs after the first day at 76, and Jake Abrahams ’14 was the fourth Eph to post a score under 80 at 79. Co-captain Wyatt Sparks ’13 managed an 83 on Day One.

The Ephs overcame their five-stroke deficit on Sunday behind a strong Day Two performance from Abrahams. He led the Ephs on Sunday, playing the final seven holes in four-under par, bringing in a Day Two tally of 70 for a final stroke total of 149. His Day Two score was a nine-stroke improvement over his Day One performance. His effort was a career-low result, as well as the low round of the tournament. “Abrahams’ gutsy two-under par performance on Sunday ignited a comeback that fell just one shot short of Skidmore College,” Sparks said.

Goldenring matched Abraham’s two-day total, and the two finished in a tie for fifth place. Goldenring scored a 76 on Day Two, three strokes off  his Day One pace. Semmelrock and McCarron finished in a tie for 16th individually with matching scores of 152. Semmelrock tied his Day One score, posting 76 on each day, while McCarron scored a 77 after his 75 on Day One. Sparks improved on his Day One score, posting an 81 for a two-day total of 164.

“The guys fired their best tournament rounds of the year (303 and 299) in difficult scoring conditions,” Sparks said. “It was great to begin the Northeast portion of our schedule on such a positive note. The team will build on this momentum as it heads into this weekend’s home opener.”

The Ephs will host the Williams Spring Opener at the Taconic Golf Club this Saturday and Sunday. The Ephs will have an ‘A’ and a ‘B’ squad, and several NESCAC schools are expected to come. Tee time is at noon on Saturday.