Ephs fall 11-9 to Mules in overtime

On Saturday, women’s lacrosse (7-5, 2-5 in NESCAC) fought hard against Colby to force the game into overtime, but ultimately lost 11-9. After falling behind to a two-goal deficit at halftime, the Ephs battled to tie it up in the second half, but could not defeat Colby in the final minutes of overtime.

Bridget Malicki ’15 set the tone for the Ephs with a goal just 25 seconds into the game. However, the Mules got on the board at 20:00 and again at 15:06 to make the score 2-1. A quick response from Nancy Palmer ’15 leveled the score. Colby then began a three-goal scoring run to pull ahead of Williams before the half. The women cut Colby’s lead to only two and slowed their opponent’s momentum when Natalie Gill ’16 scored unassisted just before halftime.

The Ephs again started strong in the second half with three consecutive goals to pull ahead of Colby within the first six minutes of play. The goals, one from Malicki and two from Stephanie Gallo ’14, forced the Mules to call a timeout to stop the Ephs’ momentum. After the timeout, the play was close and both teams traded goals. The Ephs’ goal came from Gill, with the assist from Malicki. The Mules then scored several goals including a rebound shot to pull ahead with a score of 9-7. Co-captain Sam Weinstein ’13 scored a huge goal at 4:29 to fire up the Ephs and ignite the comeback. With three minutes left in regulation, Gill converted a Colby turnover into a game-tying open net goal. The game entered overtime with the scores level at 9-9.

Both teams had opportunities in the first two minutes of overtime, yet it wasn’t until 6.3 seconds were left on the clock of the first overtime that Colby got its first goal. Hindered by a tough call that would have given the women possession in the final minute of the game, the Ephs did not score in the second overtime period. The final Mule goal was an open goal shot that resulted from an attempt to break the stall, making the final score 11-9 in Colby’s favor.

Williams led Colby in shots (28-25) and draw controls (15-9), while both teams had 15 turnovers. In goal, Ali Piltch ’14 had seven saves for the Ephs.

“There were a lot of positives that we could take away from the game.” Weinstein said. “We are playing our best lacrosse and are really looking forward to our games against Hamilton and Amherst this week.”

The women next face NESCAC rival Hamilton on Wednesday night at 6 p.m. at Renzie Lamb Field and play at Amherst at noon on Saturday. The women will close out their season with three conference games. They are currently in a three-way tie for seventh in the NESCAC.