College holds first place in Directors’ Cup after winter

At the end of the winter sports season, the College holds first place in the Directors’ Cup for NCAA Div. III standings. The Ephs racked up 509 points throughout the winter, led on by great seasons for men’s and women’s track and field, men’s and women’s swimming and women’s basketball. The College has scored 785.75 points in the competition to date.

Middlebury, a formidable competitor in the Directors’ Cup with near-perennial appearances in the top ten, is in second place with 665.75 points. Emory jumped two spots to claim third place with 635.75 points. Johns Hopkins holds fourth place with 564.40 points, followed by MIT with 549.75.

The College’s top contributors were women’s basketball, earning 83 points, women’s swimming with 80 points, men’s swimming with 70.5 points, men’s basketball with 73 points and women’s track and field earning 72 points. Men’s track and field put up 26.5 points for the Ephs while wrestling racked up 50 points, more than doubling their contribution from last year of 22 points. Skiing contributed 54 points to the Ephs’ current lead.

The Directors’ Cup is presented annually to the school in each division with the best athletic program overall, based on the performance 18 teams – nine women’s and nine men’s. Expectedly, the top ten competitors are wont to vary with each team’s performance over the season. The College has won the cup 15 times since 1996.

Amherst holds eighth place in the contest with 540.80 points, giving the NESCAC three competitors in the top ten. The Lord Jeffs number among top annual contenders; the conference rivals took fourth place last year, just 13.75 behind the College’s third place finish.

“The Ephs had a terrific winter season,” Associate Director of Communications for Sports Information Dick Quinn said. “But this competition is far from over as there are 13 possible sports for schools to score in this spring.”