Women’s tennis overpowers Emory and Bowdoin

Women’s tennis (11-3) defeated Emory 6-3 at home on Sunday, rounding out a victorious weekend in which the women also beat Bowdoin 6-3. Williams went 6-2 over the break, notching wins against Pomona-Pitzer, Vanguard and DePauw, amongst others. Their two losses came against Claremont and NESCAC rival Middlebury.

Last weekend, Williams took on a tough Emory squad, which was looking for revenge after its 5-3 defeat at the hands of the women last May. After losing both the first and second singles matches, the Ephs rallied to defeat the Eagles in the rest of singles play. Kathleen Elkins ’14 won her singles match 6-3, 6-0, while Maria Pylypiv ’15 defeated her opponent 6-2, 6-1, and Alex Stone ’16 powered her way to a 6-1, 6-4 victory. The most exciting match of the day came from co-captain Nancy Worley ’13, who came back from a first set loss to win 4-6, 7-6 (5), 7-5. The doubles team of Worley and co-captain Veranika Li ’13 fought aggressively in doubles play, but did not come away with a win, falling 9-7. Elkins and Pylypiv defeated their doubles opponents 8-4, and the team of Kara Shoemaker ’14 and Rebecca Curran ’15 won in a thrilling tiebreaker, 9-8 (1). “I was really impressed with the competitive heart and determination we brought,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said.

On April 5, in their first match after the break, the women defeated Bowdoin 6-3. The Ephs came out of the doubles play with a 2-1 advantage after Shoemaker and Curran won 8-5 at No. 1 doubles and Pylypiv and Elkins won their No. 2 doubles match 8-6. Worley and Li came up just short in a hard-fought 8-6 loss. In the singles matches, the women asserted their dominance, picking up wins from Elkins, Worley, Pylypiv and Curran. Pylypiv gave the Ephs a 3-1 lead after trouncing her No. 5 opponent 6-1, 6-0. Elkins at No. 3 singles and Worley at No. 4 followed suit, winning 6-0, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-3, respectively. Curran played a marathon match at No. 2 singles, eventually coming away with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 win. “The team worked very hard in practices last week, and the improvement showed on the court against both Bowdoin and Emory,” Swain said.

Toward the end of spring break, the women lost 6-3 to NESCAC opponent Middlebury. Elkins and Alex Stone ’16 were standouts for Williams in the match, each winning their singles matches 6-3, 6-1. Pylypiv won hers 6-1, 6-3.The rest of the team was not as fortunate, as the women did not secure points from their doubles teams, as well as their first, second and fourth singles positions.

Pomona-Pitzer fell to the Williams team 7-2 on March 27 with Williams winning all of the singles matches. The women showed their resilience when they defeated DePauw 7-2 on March 24. The Ephs won all of their singles matches over the Tigers, and the doubles pair of Pylypiv and Curran beat their opponents 8-5. That same day, Williams pulled off a 7-2 victory over University of Wisconsin at Whitewater.

On March 23, the team suffered its first loss of the spring season when the women fell 5-4 to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The three singles victories belonged to Pylypiv, Elkins and Worley. Worley also contributed to the lone doubles win of the day, partnering with Li to win 8-5.

On March 21, the Ephs beat both Babson and Vanguard 9-0. The women started their spring training trip in California with a 6-3 win over Point Loma Nazarene on March 18.

Williams will next take on Tufts at home this Saturday at 1 p.m. On Sunday, the women will face Rochester and Hamilton in Clinton, N.Y.