Women’s golf drops opener to Div. II team

On March 25, women’s golf faced off against California State University at the Black Horse Golf Club in Pacific Grove, Calif. In their season opener, the Ephs fell to the Golden Eagles by 13 strokes. The women posted a strong performance, however, carding a total of 315 strokes, the best start in program history.

The women played under excellent conditions at Black Horse, a course that hosted to the 2012 PGA Championship. The course was shorter than usual, but in the greens the women faced a difficult challenge. With many heavy slopes, ridges and difficult pin placement, the Ephs were forced to play their approaches carefully.

Despite the loss to Div. II Cal State, the women notched several impressive individual performances in their opener. The entire roster got played the course, although only five players chosen by Head Coach Erika DeSanty counted for the competition. After being abroad in the fall, Emily Wickstrom ’14 charged to a 76, leading the Ephs on the day just one shot off the leaders. Co-captain Becky Miller ’13 entered the clubhouse after shooting a 78, and Georgiana Salant ’14 captured the third-place position for the Ephs after shooting a 79. Rounding out the Eph top five were Shelby Shote ’15 and Kelly Kung ’16, both of whom carded 82s. Paige Whidbee ’15, Caroline Sawin ’15 and Margaret Mitts ’15 also played for the Ephs, posting scores of 82, 84 and 87, respectively.

“Last spring we had a slow start to competitive play, so this spring we hope to start exactly where we left off in the fall,” DeSanty said. “We are determined to shoot lower team and individual scores early on, and our competition against Monterey Bay, posting a 315, was the positive start we were working towards.”

The Ephs displayed some incredible consistency during the match, with every player finishing within 11 strokes of each other. The depth of the women’s team should bode well for their upcoming matches. The women will travel to Vassar for the Vassar Invitational on Saturday and Sunday.