Sprinters, field stars bolster women’s track

Women’s track had a strong showing at the Catamount Open at UVM last Saturday. The women finished in third behind Dartmouth and UVM. Over spring break, the Ephs competed against an array of Div. I schools in an unscored meet at the University of South Carolina. They also matched up against some Div. I competition in the Raleigh Relays on March 29.

To start off the Catamount Open, Amina Avril ’14 took first in the hammer throw with a toss of 49.67 meters. Avril also had strong performances in the shot put and discus, finishing second in the shot with throw of a 12.43 meters and finishing first in the discuss with a throw of 40.20 meters.

The women also performed well in the jumps. Julie Paschal ’13 and Elise Pitmon ’16 both cleared 1.55 meters in the high jump, placing fourth and fifth, respectively. Grace Weatherall ’16 jumped 4.76 meters in the long jump, earning her a second-place finish. Bethany Berry ’16 jump of 4.53 meters, earning her third place. Berry also competed in the in the triple jump, placing fourth with a jump of 9.75 meters. Elena Zifkin ’16 placed fifth with a jump of 9.37 meters.

Only a few members of the distance group competed, with Kathryn McNaughton ’16 running an impressive race in her first collegiate steeplechase, finishing third with a time of 11:58.87. Margaret Richardson ’16 placed fifth with a time of 19:47.49 in her first 5k on the track.

The sprinters’ stalwart performances included Ashley Graves ’15 with a first-place finish in the 400 meter with a time of 59.34 seconds, followed by Amanda Murashige ’14 finishing third in 1:01.05 and Jessica O’Brien ’16 finishing fifth in 1:04.44. Graves led the Ephs in the 200 meter with a time of 26.71, placing sixth. Murashige, Annie Lynch ’14 and Weatherall also competed in the event. Lynch placed fourth in the 100 meter as well, and Weatherall finished fourth in the 100-meter hurdles, followed by Dianna Mejia ’15 in fifth and Pitmon in sixth.

The women competed in two relay events, the 4×100 and the 4×400. The 4×100 team of Lynch, Murashige, Mejia and Graves placed fourth with a time of 51.41. To close out the meet, the 4×400 relay ‘A’ team of Graves, Murashige, Fine and Lynch ran a time of 4:05.06, earning second place and the ‘B’ team of Mejia, O’Brien, Pitmon and Haley Stewart ’15 placed fourth with a time of 4:16.68.

“We got in great training over spring break and started off the season with solid qualifying performances across the board,” tri-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 said. “The freshmen continued that momentum this past weekend, improving on previous performances and hitting qualifiers in new events.”

Over spring break, the distance members of the team competed at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, N.C., on March 29. Standout performances included Lacey Serletti ’16 in the 5k, who ran a personal best of 17:56 and Borah Lim ’16 in the 1500 meter with a time of 4:54.

The entire team competed at the unscored USC Weems Baskin Invitational on March 22 to 23. Despite unseasonably cold temperatures and torrential rain, the women competed well in their first outdoor meet of the year. A few of the highlights included Jenna Adams ’14, who placed second in the pole vault after clearing a height of 3.65 meters; Brooke Johnson ’13, who placed fifth in the triple jump with a jump of 5.02 meters; Graves, who led the Ephs in the 400 meter with a time of 1:00.46; and Kaleigh Kenny ’14, who finished fourth in the 1500 meter with a time of 4:52.70.

The women next compete at the UMass Invitational on Saturday.