Men’s track earns fast qualifiers at UVM

Men’s track and field returned from its spring break trip to capture third place at the Vermont Quad Meet last Saturday. With most of its athletes resting, the men scored 23 points to finish behind UVM with 78 points and Dartmouth with 76. Over spring break, the team competed at the Raleigh Relays on March 29 and the Weems Baskin Invitational at the University of South Carolina on March 22 to 23. Stephen Simalchik ’13 also competed at the Tufts Winter Classic on March 30.

Jabulani Blyden ’13 spearheaded the men’s effort last Saturday, earning second place in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.29. He also dashed away from the pack to win the 800 meter in a time of 1:55.93, which qualified him for Div. III New Englands.

Chris Cogswell ’14 also starred for the Ephs, asserting himself in a strong 1500 meter field and taking fourth in 4:09.96. Despite a calf strain, Andrew Beaudoin ’15 fought to seventh at 4:18.55, while Daquan Daly ’16 took 11th in 4:31.82.

Alex Deaderick ’15 and Kevin Persons ’16 battled to the line in the 100 meter and 200 meter. Deaderick got the better of Persons in the former, edging his teammate by .06 seconds with a time of 11.85. Persons flipped the script in the 200 meter, finishing with a time of 23.28 to outlast Deaderick, who finished in 24.18.

In the 400 meter, Ezequiel Davila ’16 captured fifth in 1:00.80, and Laye Samoura ’15 finsihed close behind in seventh in 1:02.27.

John Sutton ’15, a member of the school record holding 4×800 meter team, returned to the 800 meter distance and impressed with a time of 2:02.33. In the 4×400 meter relay, Blyden and Persons returned to the track with Jared Nowell ’15 and Davila to dust the field with a time of 3:27.43.

The field events put an exclamation point on the meet as John Martin ’16 took second in the triple jump with a leap of 12.66 meters. He later added a fifth-place finish in the high jump, reaching a height of 1.80 meters. Nolan Raimo ’16 earned a point with a fourth-place distance of 6.32 meters in the long jump.

“We’ve been putting in a lot of hard work, but as a result a lot of guys are a bit fatigued or banged up,” tri-captain Scott Rodilitz ’14 said. “We sent a smaller squad to the meet this past weekend. We still managed to have a number of impressive performances, despite our thinner numbers and some colder temperatures.”

Overall, the Ephs added to a growing list of qualifiers from its spring break trip. Senior All-American Simalchik returned from a one-year hiatus to compete at the Tufts Winter Classic and placed first in the javelin.

At the Raleigh Relays on March 29, Rodilitz, Peter Watson ’13, Wade Davis ’13, Nick Wolf ’14 and Nick Nosce ’15 each posted personal bests in their respective races, while Chris Lee ’14 ran the 5000 meter in a time of 14:46, the 12th-best time in Williams history.

At the Weems Baskin Invitational on March 22 to 23, the men came out strong, with Blyden finishing fifth in the 400 meter in a time of 50.30 and Nowell turning in impressive times of 11.41 and 22.80 in the 100 meter and 200 meter, respectively.

“The spring break trip was fantastic,” Assistant Coach Lance Harden said. “We had access to an excellent outdoor track and weight room facility.”

Next up, the men travel to UMass Amherst this Saturdays. “Over the next weeks, we’ll be looking to continue to train and race well while also resting up for the Little Three, NESCAC and regional championships,” Rodilitz said.