Men’s lax falls to Tufts in 12-7 game

Last Saturday, men’s lacrosse (3-5, 2-4 in the NESCAC) fell 12-7 to Tufts. This loss followed a slew of spring break games that saw the men go 3-3, with impressive wins over conference foes Bates and Trinity, but a close overtime loss to Bowdoin to end the break.

With Dan Whittam ’15 in goal, the men set out on Saturday to try to dispatch one of the toughest opponents on their schedule, Tufts. Unfortunately, the Jumbos put in their first goal in the first minute of play, tallying a second in the next minute.

David Lee ’14 took the next faceoff, sparking an offensive battle between the two teams that lasted the rest of the quarter. The Ephs managed three shots on goal, by Ryan Prokesch ’14, Andy Grabowski ’15 and Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16, but all were saved by Jumbo goalie Alex Salazar.

Despite the solid offensive chances for the men, Tufts notched a third goal with 4:35 to play in the first quarter. The Ephs responded in kind, with Colton Growney ’13 assisting Jack Lauroesch ’16 to cut the Jumbos’ lead to two. With the first quarter coming to a close, Tufts squeezed in one final goal with 27 seconds to play, putting Williams down 4-1 at the end of the first.

Tufts refused to slow down in the second quarter, tallying five more goals and taking a 9-1 lead into halftime. Although Lee continued to win faceoffs, the men did not overcome mistakes in the second quarter and only managed three shots to Tufts’ 12.

Lee won the opening faceoff in the third quarter, allowing Steven Kiesel ’15 to take his first shot of the game, though Salazar came up with the save again. After a turnover by Tufts, Growney scored the men’s second goal of the game, cutting Tufts’ lead to 9-2. The Jumbos then traded goals with the Ephs, putting the score at 10-3 before adding one more off a turnover by Colin Foster ’14. Despite four more shots by the Ephs, the quarter ended 11-3 in the Jumbos’ favor.

In the fourth quarter, the Ephs’ comeback effort picked up, with Growney tallying another unassisted goal, followed by a goal from Kiesel. Gilbert-Bono then brought the score to within five. The end of the game would see one more goal from each team, as the Ephs’ comeback effort fell short and they lost 12-7.

“The team was very disappointed with the slow start and wanted to step it up in the third quarter,” Head Coach George McCormack said.

At the end of spring break, the men lost a heartbreaker to Bowdoin on March 31, falling 7-6 in four overtime periods.

On March 30, the men took down Bates 10-7 in a highly contested conference match up. This win followed a 13-11 win over Skidmore on March 26, when the men rebounded from two straight losses: a 10-6 loss to Conn. College on March 23 and an 8-7 loss to Catholic on March 20. The men opened their spring break trip with an impressive 11-3 win over Trinity on March 16.

The men host Union on Wednesday at 6 p.m. Following that game, the men travel to Colby on Saturday for a game at 1 p.m. and Hamilton on Tuesday for a game at 5 p.m.