Men’s golf opens spring with win at Sunshine

Men’s golf began its spring season at the Sunshine Invitational in Port St. Lucie, Fla., on March 22 to 23. The Ephs took first place at the invitational, winning their fourth tournament out of a total of six events this year.

The men shot a 616, taking down Trinity by just five points. Jake Goldenring ’15 took home first place with a two-day total of 151, followed by Cody Semmelrock ’14 in third with 154. Matt McCarron ’14 and Dylan Dethier ’14 shot impressively at the invitational as well, with totals of 155 and 156, respectively.

Jake Abrahams ’14 shot a 162, but an abundance of penalty strokes prevented him from lowering his total, although he turned in solid rounds. Captain Jack Ervasti ’13 had a two-day total of 164. Wyatt Sparks ’13 and Ross Bowen ’14, competed individually but did not factor in team scoring, shooting 164 and 168, respectively.

Head Coach Josh Hillman was pleased with his team’s effort at the Sunshine Invitational. This tournament marked the debut for Hillman as head coach. “I have a great bunch of guys who are all very motivated to play,” Hillman said. “We have set some solid goals for the spring season and I strongly believe we can reach them. Our first place showing over NESCAC opponents Hamilton and Trinity is something to build on as we move forward with our season.”

This was the first collegiate win for Goldenring, who was named to the all-tournament team. Dethier and Semmelrock were also named to the all-tournament team.

Hillman was satisfied with the team’s trip to Florida. “We spent a lot of time working on certain aspects of their games that will allow each player to improve and play better going forward,” Hillman said.

The Ephs next play at the Manhattanville/NYU Invite on Saturday and Sunday in Middlefield, Conn. Competition will begin at 11 a.m.