Men’s crew falters against Hogart squad

Last Saturday, men’s crew headed to Saratoga Springs, N.Y., to race against Hobart. The conditions that morning were less than ideal, with the wind constantly changing, keeping the coxswains on their toes. All three men’s boats lost to Hobart in close races. To conclude their spring break trip, the men competed in the Murphy Cup in Cherry Hill, N.J., with the novice boat and 2V boat placing fifth and the 1V boat placing fourth.

The novice men were the first to race on Saturday, facing off against Hobart’s crew. Although Hobart crossed the line first, the rookies showed significant improvement in technique and speed, finishing in 6:25. They stayed with Hobart, proving they could keep up with a more experienced crew.

The 2V then sped down the course, trying to recover the distance lost due to a snag that occurred early on in their race. However, although they kept up with Hobart, and pulled hard through the finish, they were unable to overtake Hobart, placing second.

The men’s 1V raced next, flying down the course, and staying ahead of Hobart for the first 1500 meters. Approaching the finish, the men fought hard in the last 500 meters as Hobart made its move. In the final sprint, Hobart slipped by the men by a mere 3.5 seconds to place first. “We had an opportunity to learn more about what we need to work on to be successful this season,” captain Zach Tarlow ’13 said. “No one’s happy with the result, but at this point in the season, that’s okay.”

After a two-week long trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C., the men competed in the Murphy Cup against some of the toughest competition they will face until ECACs and NESCACs later in the season. The novice boat and the 2V boat both pulled out fifth-place finishes, while the 1V boat placed fourth.

This Saturday, the men will head to Worcester, Mass., to race against Rochester, MIT, Conn. College and WPI.