Ephs shoot to impressive 7-4 record

Women’s lacrosse (7-4, 2-4 in the NESCAC) lost to Tufts 12-7 last Saturday, after playing 10 games in the past four weeks, including a thrilling 8-7 double overtime win against RPI and a sweep of four games over the women’s spring training trip in Florida against Wellesley, Savanagh, Conn. College and Union. The women went 4-3 over spring break.

On Saturday, the Ephs fell 12-5 to Tufts at Renzie Lamb Field. The Jumbos controlled most of the play, beginning with the first draw control, which led to a goal in the first 90 seconds of the game. The Ephs faced challenges of clears and turnovers in the first five minutes, allowing the Jumbos to take an early 3-0 lead. Co-captain Sam Weinstein ’13 notched a free position goal to make the score 3-1, but the Jumbos exploited the Ephs struggle to transition the ball through the midfield and scored three consecutive goals to take a 6-1 lead at 15:02. Nancy Palmer ’15 ended Tufts scoring run at 10:36 with a free position goal. The half came to a close with Becca McGovern ’14 notching a goal to make the score 8-3. The Jumbos continued to dominate the offense in the second half, notching four more goals in total, but the Ephs didn’t give up without a fight, winning some crucial draw controls and hitting the post twice within the last five minutes of the game. The late effort wasn’t enough to make a dent in the Jumbos lead, and the Ephs fell 12-5. Ali Piltch ’14 had seven saves for the women.

“We didn’t play as well against Tufts, and were all disappointed with the game,” Weinstein said. “We are working hard this week on focusing on the fundamentals and making the necessary adjustments to prepare for a big game on Saturday.”

The women had a thrilling 8-7 double overtime victory over RPI on April 2. The Ephs came out strong with two goals in the first five minutes of play, one each from Rebecca Bell ’15 and Weinstein. RPI wasn’t fazed and scored four unanswered goals to take a 5-3 lead at halftime. In the second half, McGovern tied the score at 6-6, and Bell notched the go-ahead goal making the score 7-6 at 13:00. Despite strong play from Williams, RPI tied the score at 7-7 at 5:00 and sent the game into overtime. Piltch came up with a huge save for the Ephs in the final seconds of the first overtime to carry the game into a sudden-death overtime. In the first minute, McGovern scored the winning goal. Williams led RPI in shots (24-15) and draw controls (10-9), and Piltch had 10 saves in total.

“We had a great game against RPI,” Weinstein said. “We were down in the first half and fought back, eventually winning in overtime. It was a great team effort.”

The women traveled to Maine to take on NESCAC rivals Bates on March 30 and Bowdoin on March 31. Despite late comeback efforts in both games, the Ephs fell 9-6 to the Polar Bears and 11-10 to the Bobcats. Attacker Bridget Malicki ’15, had an impressive weekend, with a combined three goals and three assists from the two conference games.

Over the women’s spring training trip in Florida, the Ephs boasted an impressive 4-0 record: The women notched a 10-9 win over Union on March 25, an 11-7 win over Conn. College on March 22, a 19-10 win over Savanagh on March 20 and a 17-5 win over Wellesley on March 18. After falling behind 2-0 against Union, the women stormed back and kept the game close throughout the rest of the game, eventually pullin out their one point victory. In the women’s win over Savanagh, six women scored two or more goals, with Palmer and Stephanie Gallo ’14 each tacking on a hat trick.

Prior to the break, Williams lost 14-7 to reigning national champion Trinity on March 16 after beating  Springfield 9-2 on March 12.

The women will take on Colby at 11 a.m. on Saturday at at home on Renzie Lamb Field.