Ephs power to 4th at Div. III NCAAs

Rounding out a long and rewarding season, women’s swimming (9-1) took an impressive fourth place at the Div. III NCAA Championships held in Shenandoah, Texas, from March 20 to 23. Emory claimed the national title.

This culminating meet marked the close of the careers of the team’s powerful senior class, including 11-time NCAA Champion and co-captain Caroline Wilson ‘13. After the impressive feat of winning both the 500 freestyle and 200 IM on Day One of the meet, Wilson went on to win the 400 IM the following day. She was also named Swimmer of the Meet, and with her three first-place finishes, tied with former teammate Logan Todhunter ’12 for the Div. III NCAA record for most individual career wins.

The women maintained their status right behind powerhouses Emory, Kenyon and Denison throughout the four-day meet. After their humbling loss to Amherst in February at the NESCAC Championships, the women were eager to settle the score at this second confrontation with their long-time rival. Amherst came in sixth overall, separated from Williams by fifth-place Johns Hopkins.

NCAAs were yet another opportunity for the team to show their talent. Sarah Thompson ’15 had an excellent meet, concluding her second season at Williams with a second-place finish behind Wilson in the 500 freestyle and an exciting defense of last year’s 200 freestyle championship title. She also captured first place in the 1650 freestyle on the final day of competition, out-touching her nearest competitor by an astounding 17 seconds. Aly Levine ’14 had several fantastic swims in her NCAA debut, finishing ninth in the 100 butterfly and 13th in the 200 butterfly. The women’s relay teams were also in fine form throughout the weekend, with all but one team making its respective championship final. Most notable were fourth-place finishes in the 800 freestyle and 400 medley relays and fifth place in the 400 freestyle relay.

“Ultimately there were lots of great performances at the meet,” Head Coach Steve Kuster said. “The women worked for everything they got, and I was very pleased to see all the seniors go out with a trip to the podium, a trophy and a win over Amherst.”

With the conclusion of Nationals, the women will graduate eight seniors: Bryn Dunbar ’13, Kathryn Ha ’13, Rebecca Maher ’13, Katharine O’Leary ’13, Kelsey Roggensack ’13, Jennifer Turner ’13, co-captain Liz Visconti ’13 and Wilson.