Women’s tennis opens spring season with wins over Skidmore, Wesleyan

The women’s tennis team (2-0) began its spring season with back-to-back wins on Saturday over Skidmore and on Sunday over Wesleyan.

Williams handily defeated Little Three competitor Wesleyan 7-2 on Sunday. The No. 1 doubles team of Kathleen Elkins ’14 and Maria Pylypiv ’15 fell to their doubles opponents, losing 8-2. The other two doubles teams rallied for victories, with co-captains Nancy Worley ’13 and Veranika Li ’13 winning 8-2 at No. 2 doubles and Alex Stone ’16 and Maya Hart ’16 winning 8-4 at No. 3. In singles, Williams ended the day with five wins. Elkins pulled off an impressive 6-0, 6-0 victory over her Wesleyan opponent in her second collegiate match of the spring. Classmates Riqui McCoy ’16 and Stone both won their matches 6-0, 6-1.

A day earlier, the team dispatched Skidmore 9-0 in its first match of the highly competitive spring season. All of the players won their singles matches in straight sets with outstanding individual performances. Rebecca Curran ’15, Elkins, Pylypiv and Worley all crushed their opponents, only giving up two games in the entire match. In doubles, the first doubles team of Kara Shoemaker ’14 and Curran and the team of Li and Worley both pulled off decisive victories. Pylypiv and Elkins rallied to defeat their opponents 9-8 after a tiebreak.

“Transitioning from weeks of drills and conditioning in practice to actual competition can be difficult at the start of our season, but our team stepped up really well,” Worley said. “Everyone took advantage of the opportunity to start working on good positive energy and moving forward in the court, two of our team goals for the upcoming season, and we’re all really looking forward to continuing that into the bulk of our matches over spring break.”

This was the women’s last match before their spring break trip to California on Monday where they will play Point Loma Nazarene at 2:30 p.m. The women will play eight matches over the break, culminating in a conference match with against Middlebury at the Riviera Club on March 28.