Women’s lax downs Wesleyan 10-6

On Saturday, women’s lacrosse (1-0) defeated Wesleyan 10-6 in its season opener at Renzie Lamb Field. After falling behind in the first half, the Ephs came out strong, holding the Cardinals to only two goals in the second half to take the win.

Wesleyan largely dictated the first half of play, using its speed to fire off shots in the first minutes of the game. Wesleyan notched its first goal off a free position shot with 24:26 remaining in the first half. The Cardinals’ pressure in the midfield continued to break up the Ephs’ momentum, and they managed to tally three more unanswered goals. But Williams had the final say in the first half. The women got on the board when Bridget Malicki ’15 scored unassisted with 1:13 left in the half, making the score 4-1.

The Ephs came out as a new team in the second half, taking control to tie up the game only 6:33 in. Co-captain Sam Weinstein ’13 began the scoring, followed by goals from Rebecca Bell ’15 and Emily Whicker ’13. The Cardinals quickly regained the lead, only to be pummeled by six more Williams goals. The run was kicked off by Hillary Cook ’15 and Nancy Palmer ’15. Bell contributed with three consecutive goals and Rebecca McGovern ’14 tacked on another, making the score 10-5 with 2:37 to go in the game. The Ephs composure and patience on attack contributed to their six-goal run and overall dominance in the second half. In a final push, Wesleyan scored an unassisted goal with 2:06 left in the half. The effort wasn’t enough to put a dent in Williams’ lead.

Ali Piltch ’14 had an impressive performance in goal for the Ephs, stopping seven of the Cardinals 14 shots on goal. Nina Labovich had seven saves out of 17 shots for Wesleyan. Both teams were even on draw controls at nine and ground balls at 18, but Williams led Wesleyan in shots 17-14.

“It was great to come out and win our first game,” Weinstein said. “Wesleyan came out strong and their goalie played really well. It took a half to settle down and get our offense going. You never want to be down 4-0 and then 4-1 at the half, but at the same time, it’s great to know we can come back. [Malicki] scored at the end of the first half, which really gave us momentum, and the entire team really stepped up and outworked Wesleyan in the second.”

The women played Springfield on Tuesday, but results came in too late to report. The women will next challenge Trinity on Saturday at 12 p.m. before departing on a spring break trip to Florida. The Ephs will play four games in Florida.