Women’s golf looks to capitalize on upperclassmen talent

Women’s golf enters the spring season after going undefeated in its fall competition. Having lost two players to graduation and gained one first-year to the roster, the team is all set to post another impressive season finish, having ended last spring on a high-note when they captured the fifth spot in the Div. III NCAA tournament, the highest finish in the program’s history. “Kelly Kung ’16, the lone first-year on the team, has been a great addition to the team,” co-captain Becky Miller ’13 said. “Her enthusiasm is infectious, and her devotion to the team and improving her game drives us all and keeps us motivated.” Georgiana Salant ’14 and co-captain Victoria Student ’13 received All-East Region honors last spring, which bodes well for the women as their spring competition commences on March 22 in Pacific Grove, Calif. Salant’s classmate, Emily Wickstrom ’14, will also rejoin the women after a semester abroad.

The women have a large sophomore class and will turn to Margaret Mitts ’15, Caroline Sawin ’15, Shelby Shote ’15 and Paige Whidbee ’15 to round out the team’s performances.

“We are coming off a great fall season, and while this gives us confidence, we are looking to improve in the spring and finish stronger than we started,” Miller said. “We want to improve on our finish at Nationals last year. Since we did not lose any starters from last year, we are especially fired up to improve on that finish and show that we can be consistently competitive with the best teams in the nation.”

After the women open their season on March 22, the women will have three invitationals to prepare for Div. III NCAAs: Vassar on April 13 to 14, Amherst on April 20 to 21 and the Williams Spring Invitational on April 27 to 28, the women’s sole home match of the season.