Men’s tennis dismisses Hamilton 9-0 in spring season opener

Last weekend, men’s tennis (1-0) traveled to Clinton, N.Y., to take on conference rival Hamilton. The Ephs showed no hesitation in their opening match of the spring season, sweeping both doubles and singles to win the match 9-0.

In doubles play, co-captain Trey Meyer ’13 teamed up with Alex Schidlovsky ’16 for the first time, posting a decisive 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles. Returning teams included Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 at No. 2 doubles and Bryan Chow ’13 and Brian Astrachan ’16 at No. 3 doubles. Both emerged victorious in their pro-sets, each winning 8-2.

The Ephs then carried their momentum from doubles into singles play. Astrachan was first off the court with a double bagel, 6-0, 6-0. His teammates were not far behind him, all finishing in a similarly decisive manner. Zach Weiss ’13 won 6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 singles. Howie Weiss ’16 earned a win 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 singles. The other three seniors in the singles lineup were victorious as well. Chow got a win 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4 singles, Sun won 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2 singles and Meyer rounded it out with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles.

Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 was excited about his team’s performance. “I thought [last] weekend was a great start,” Greenberg said. “Our first few doubles games were a little shaky, but after that, everyone settled in and played solid tennis. It’s the best Hamilton team we’ve played, so I’m glad we were strong at every spot. We’re excited for our matches in California next week.”

“[I was] very pleased with our sustained energy in doubles,” Meyer said. “All three teams broke early and held the lead throughout. [I’m] proud of the freshmen – they dealt with the pressure and competed well. We’re looking forward to the challenging matches over spring break.”

The team heads to California for its annual spring break trip. The first match is set for this Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. against Pomona-Pitzer. The men will play nine matches over spring break before their first home match against Skidmore on April 6.