Men’s golf looks to extend fall success

Men’s golf is looking to build upon its success in the fall season, beginning with the Sunshine Invite in Port St. Lucia, Fla., on March 22 to 23.

The Ephs had a fantastic fall season, winning three of their five tournaments. They took first place at the Bowdoin Invite, the Williams Invite and the Hamilton Invite and came in a close second to Trinity in the NESCAC tournament to qualify for the NESCAC Championship this spring. The fall season was also former Head Coach Rick Pohle’s 29th and final season with the Ephs; Pohle was honored as the NESCAC Coach of the Year after the fall season. Josh Hillman was named head coach in December. He previously served as an assistant coach under Pohle from 2006 to 2009.

Hillman is particularly impressed by the hard work the Ephs put into their offseason, and the motivation they’ve brought to practices thus far. As one of the strongest teams in their conference, Hillman believes that Williams can definitely build upon its success from the fall. According to Hillman, the team will find success if they “take one step at a time and don’t look too far down the road.”

Hillman remarked that the talent and experience of the upperclassmen has helped him in his new role as head coach. Led by co-captains Jack Ervasti ’13 and Wyatt Sparks ’13, the upperclassmen have taken the rookies under their wings, helping them with their individual games and finding their places on the team. The Ephs add six rookies to the team this spring: Max Elgart ’16, Andrew Leary ’16, Tony Liu ’16, Michael Stone ’16, Matt Werner ’16 and Frank Worthington ’16.

The returning sophomores Jonathan Dely ’15, Jake Goldenring ’15 and Matt McCue ’15 will also look to make an impact. Jake Abrahams ’14, Ross Bowen ’14, Dylan Dethier ’14, Matt McCarron ’14 and Cody Semmelrock ’14 will also strive to bolster the team in its spring season. The Ephs will graduate five players after this season, including Ryan Brand ’13, Hrishi Srinagesh ’13, Alexander Xu ’13, Ervasti and Sparks.

The spring season for men’s golf is sure to be an exciting one. “If they continue to believe in themselves and trust the hard work they put in during the off-season, we will be sure to achieve our goals and find success,” Hillman said.

Although the team hopes to win Nationals and NESCACs, they know that a lot of preparation and commitment is necessary for those goals to be realized. Above all, the team would like to see everyone working and improving on their games. “If the bottom of [our] roster improves, it will force the top to get even better,” Ervasti said.

The men will open the spring season at the Sunshine Invite on March 22 to 23.