Men’s crew prepares for sprint season

As men’s crew prepares for its opening spring races, the team has some impressive recent seasons to look back on for inspiration. Last spring, the first varsity boat went undefeated, winning the Little Three, NESCACs and ECACs. In the fall, the men had impressive races at the Head of the Housatonic, the Head of the Charles and the Head of the Fish, with the 1V placing fifth at the Housatonic and the Charles and the 2V placing second and 14th at the same races, respectively.

Although the men graduated seven rowers last spring, including four All-NESCAC First Team honorees, the season looks bright for the Ephs. Captain Zach Tarlow ’13 leads a small but strong senior class looking to set an example for the underclassmen. Nate Barker ’13 is the only other senior on the team. They are joined by a large junior class, however, consisting of Peter Ellis ’14, Nick Evert ’14, Julian Fernandez ’14, Parker Finch ’14, Andrew Marsh ’14 and Erick Quay ’14. The team is rounded out by 14 sophomores and five freshmen.

“We have the potential to produce fast boats,” Tarlow said. “The team’s goal for this season is to try to build off of our success from last spring. Ideally, that means winning races, but the group has a lot to accomplish for that to happen.”

The men will begin the spring season with a two-week long spring break training trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C., which will culminate in their first race of the season. The men will compete at the Murphy Cup in Philadelphia, Penn., on their trip back to Williams.

Following that, the men have a busy season ahead of them, with races almost every weekend leading to Little Threes, NESCACs and ECACs.