Ephs aim for 8th straight NCAA title

On March 15, women’s crew will embark on its annual spring break trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C. The trip marks the end of the women’s winter training, leaving the women in a strong position for this spring’s racing season. Led by co-captains Katherine Amano ’13 and Dana Golden ’13, the women are set for a strong start to the sprint season.

The women had a successful fall, logging impressive finishes at the Head of the Housatonic on Oct. 6 and at the Head of the Charles on Oct. 20. They closed their fall racing season at the Head of the Fish on Oct. 27.

This spring, the team hopes to once again capture the NCAA title and extend Williams’ winning streak to a record eight years. The team is led by an enthusiastic and dedicated senior class, sharing their wisdom with 21 keen first-years, eager to learn and to uphold the reputation of the women’s novice squad set by their upperclassmen teammates. The team lost 12 rowers to graduation, and the large rookie class will be looking to fill their shoes. “We have a large and enthusiastic group of freshmen and a strong group of upperclassmen leading the way,” Golden said. “Over winter training, the freshmen and varsity squads combined to work together, push each other and to gain as much fitness and toughness as possible.”

“The team has been training hard and is looking forward to utilizing their increased fitness on the water,” Head Coach Kate Maloney said. “We will have two weeks in Myrtle Beach to prepare for what will undoubtedly be a challenging, yet fun racing schedule.”

The women will compete in their first competition of the spring season, the Murphy Cup, on their way back from Myrtle Beach on March 30 in Philadelphia, Penn. “Spring racing is a fantastic chance for us to put everything together: our experience from the fall, our fitness gained during winter training and our joy at being back on the water,” Amano said.